Use this All Purpose Pizza Dough recipe to bake many different kinds of breads like stuffed bread, pizza, calzone, stromboli, rolls, pull apart breads etc.
I make large batches of these dough and store them for the week.
It’s really useful to have this on hand to make all kinds of baked breads.
ALL PURPOSE PIZZA DOUGH RECIPE
You’ll need –
Mix the flour, salt, sugar & instant yeast well.
Add the warm milk and water (or just milk or water)
Mix well with fork constantly until the mixture starts to come together
Add the softened butter.
Knead into a soft and elastic dough.
Place in oiled bowl.
Cover and let it rest for at least 1-2 hours or till it doubles up in volume.
Punch down the dough and use as required.
- (This recipe makes around ½ lb (8 oz) of dough which is enough to make 2 thin crust 9 inch pizzas. I usually triple the recipe and store the rest.)
- 1 cup (235 grams) All Pupose Flour
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Instant Yeast (or 1 and ½ teaspoons Active Dry Yeast)
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- ¼ cup Warm Milk *
- ¼ cup Warm Water *
- 2 Tablespoons soft butter (I used salted butter)
- Alternatively use ½ cup just milk or water
- Mix the flour, salt, sugar & instant yeast well.
- Add the warm milk and water (or just milk or water)
- Mix well with fork (or electric mixer) constantly until the mixture starts to come together and add the softened butter. Knead into a soft and elastic dough (around 20 minutes by hand or 10 minutes by electric mixer).
- Place in oiled bowl. Cover and let it rest for at least 1-2 hours or till it doubles up in volume.
- Punch down the dough and use as required.
- If you're using active dry yeast (and not instant yeast), mix the yeast and sugar with warm water / milk. Let it rest for 3-4 minutes till the yeast bubbles. Then add the mixture to the flour & salt mix.
- Let the dough rise and punch down.
- Cut to the required size and make a neat ball of it.
- Wrap in 2 layers of plastic / saran wrap or a freezer bag.
- Label with the contents and date.
- Store your pizza dough in the freezer until you need it. It'll keep indefinitely, but is best used within three months.
- To use: simply thaw your dough in the fridge overnight. Then, take it out, and allow it to come to room temperature and to go through the first rise. Proceed with your pizza/calzone/roll/bread recipe as usual.