Brimming with veggies & barley, this delicious, hearty and filling barley vegetable soup is positively packed with healthy goodness!
The very first “Barley Recipe” on this blog. I really am growing up!
What I really like about this older me is that I’m starting to appreciate grains other than wheat and rice. There was a time when I pledged my love for rice and couldn’t imagine a healthier substitute to my meals. But this barley vegetable soup left me incredibly surprised. All my initial apprehensions were put to rest when I devoured spoonful after spoonfuls of this filling soup. This soup scores extra points in texture, taste and ease of preparation.
It is a New Year. And that means making small changes to make it a healthier year. I almost always make it a point to make some healthy changes… always on a quest to take off a few pounds and live a healthier, more energetic life. And this soup is just perfect for whatever health goals you have. All you need is a pot, some fresh herbs & veggies and Barley! Let’s go!
Barley Vegetable Soup – Printable Recipe
- ½ cup Barley pearls
- ½ cup chopped Onions
- 3-4 cups chopped mixed Veggies (*refer note 1)
- 1 cup finely chopped Tomato
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon grated Ginger (optional)
- 1 Green chilli, slit in the middle or chopped
- 2 teaspoons Salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
- 2 teaspoon mixed herbs (*refer note 2)
- handful of chopped Cilantro / Parsley
- Water (*refer note 3)
- Mixed Veggies- use whatever is in season (Green beans, bell peppers, carrots, cauliflower, beetroot, baby corn, sweet corn, ivy gourd, squash, pumpkin, peas etc. Skip cabbage / lettuce / eggplant)
- Mixed Herbs - You can use whatever you like! If you're Indian, you could use coriander powder, Garam masala, dry mango powder etc. If you're Italian, use Oregano, Pizza seasoning. Viz use whatever combination of spices you like to alter the taste of the soup. Using mixed herbs is also optional. Even if you skip this, you'll have a great tasting soup
- It is difficult to exactly say how much water to use. Depending on the quality of your barley, the water quantity may vary. A good measure is to add enough water to cover the entire mixture and then add another cup.
- Soak Barley for 4-6 hours or overnight in water. This helps to cook the barley faster. Discard the water and set aside.
- In a large cooking pot, heat the oil and add chilli, ginger & garlic and cook for a minute.
- Add the onions & cook till translucent.
- Add the mixed veggies and cook for 3-4 minutes of medium heat or until the veggies start to sweat a bit.
- Add salt, chilli powder, pepper powder and mixed herbs and cook out for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, mix well, cover and cook for 4-5 minutes. The tomatoes should reduce to a slight mush.
- Add the barley and saute well. Saute for 2-3 minutes again.
- Add enough water to cover the barley and veggies and then add another cup of water. Let the mixture come to a boil.
- Cover the pot with a lid, simmer and let the mixture cook for another 30-45 minutes. Every 5 or 10 minutes, open the lid, give everything a good mix and cover again. Cook till the barley is well cooked.
- If the mixture is extremely thick, you can add another cup or so of water, mix and let that come to a boil. Taste the soup and adjust for seasoning.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro / parsley and serve hot!
- How to tell if the barley is cooked? - IF you can smash with your hands like how you would rice, it is cooked
- You can freeze it upto 1 week. Before eating, add some water / stock and heat again for 2-3 minutes
Barley Vegetable Soup – Step by step recipe
SOAK Barley pearls in water for 4-6 hours or overnight. This ensures faster cooking of the barley
Bring some oil up to temperature and add the chilli, ginger-garlic paste and let that fry up. Add the onions & saute till translucent. Add carrots, bell peppers (and any veggies you like).
Add the herbs & cook for 1-2 minutes. Then add the finely chopped tomatoes.
Add the barley pearls and mix everything together. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add water and bring it to a boil.
Close with a lid, simmer and cook for 30-45 minutes or until the barley is cooked.
Garnish with some chopped cilantro / parsley and serve hot!
If you liked this soup, be sure to check out some more –
Chinese Noodle Soup