Let me make a statement : “All it takes is a few basic ingredients and you can make anything to your liking!” Am I Right or Am I Right? Try this delicately spiced, super easy one pot meal from the lands of Kerala. This happens to be one of my favorite week night meals. When you’re too tired to make elaborate dishes, this is the perfect answer!
Neichoru or Neychoru translates to GHEE RICE. So you’ll obviously be needing Clarified Butter to cook the rice. But if you don’t have it or use it, substitute with regular Butter or even Vegetable Oil. It wouldn’t be authentic. But no one’s stopping you!
I did use a pressure cooker this time. You could however make it in a deep bottomed pan or a wok too. Follow the steps I did to make this dish in a WOK instead of a cooker.
Wash & soak your rice in water for 10 – 15 minutes
Start by heating the Ghee (Clarified Butter) in the cooker and frying your cashew nuts till they are brown.
Remove & Set aside.
In the same Ghee, add the sliced up onions.
Fry for 4-5 minutes or until they are well caramelized.
Remove & set aside.
To the same cooker, add in the whole spices – cinnamon, bay leaf, cardamom & cloves. Fry for a minute.
Add the CHOPPED up onions & fry till translucent.
Add in the drained rice
Let it come to a boil. Give the water a taste & adjust for salt.
Close the lid & cook till ONE whistle & immediately switch off the cooker. Let the pressure escape completely (around 5-10 min). Then open and fluff the rice with a fork.
Garnish with chopped cilantro, caramelized onions & fried nuts & serve!
- 1 cup Basmati Rice (long grain)
- 2 TBsp Ghee (clarified butter) (Or regular butter or oil)
- 1 Onions thinly sliced **
- 1 Onion, finely chopped **
- 10 Cashew nuts (or almonds)
- 2 Cardamom
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 4 Cloves
- 2 cups Water
- 1 TBsp Salt (to taste)
- 3 TBSp Cilantro leaves
- Wash the rice well under running water 2-3 times or till the water runs clear. Soak in water for 10-15 minutes and drain.
- In a pressure cooker add 1 TBsp ghee and saute the cashew nuts till golden brown, drain and reserve.
- Saute the sliced up onions till the onions become dark brown,drain and keep aside.
- Add rest of the ghee and mix in the whole spices and then remaining finely chopped onions. Saute till the onions start turning golden brown.
- Mix in the drained rice and give a good stir.
- Add water and salt to taste and let the mix come to a boil.
- Shut the pressure cooker with the lid and cook for 1 whistle. Switch off the flame immediately and let the cooker come to room temperature.
- Open the lid and fluff the rice with a fork. Garnish with caramelized onions, chopped cilantro leaves and cashew nuts and serve.