I hated Dark Chocolate. And then I made this tart. I’m a convert now. If you haven’t experienced a yummy slice of caramel and chocolate tart…. you haven’t experienced the full potential of Chocolate yet! This, ladies & gentlemen, is the sweet elixir of life! Unbelievably delicious, yet not overpoweringly sweet, this quick & easy Tart is something every homo sapien must try! And with my (not-so-good-looking-yet-simple) step by step pictorial, you can now make it too!
What do we need? Well, the very few ingredients, which you probably already have on had, are :- Dark Chocolate, Sugar, Water, Cream, Butter, Chocolate Biscuits, a pinch of salt and some milk.
Apply butter / non stick cooking spray well all over the tart pan. If it is once with a removable bottom, cover the outside of the pan with aluminum foil.
First, you’re gonna start by making the base. If you get chocolate graham cracker crust, go ahead and just use that. Or make it this way… Its pretty easy. Add the chocolate biscuits into a zip-lock bag on any plastic cover.
Beat the hell out of them to make them resemble crumbs! This is an awesome way of taking out your frustration! Or use the food processor to crush these.
Melt some butter (I did it in the microwave) and add it to the cookie crumbs.
Mix well with your fingers, incorporating the butter into the biscuit crumbs.
To a well buttered tart pan (preferably, one with a removable bottom) add in the crumbs
Spread it out to cover the whole pan. Press the crumbs tightly in each area. *Tip: Use the back side of a cup or ramekin to press down the crumbs evenly all over the pan.
Put it into a pre-heated 200C oven for about 10 minutes. This helps the crumbs to hold together nicely. Or if you wanna skip this, just make sure the crumbs are very tightly and evenly spread. Then, put it into the refrigerator until the filling is done.
For the filling, start by adding the sugar and water to a non stick pan and let it melt on low heat. Do not stir.
Add in the butter once the sugar starts melting and let the butter melt into the sugar mixture on low heat.
Let it continue to cook until the mixture reaches a golden brown color. If you like a darker caramel, continue for another minute.
Turn the heat off. Add in the cream.
Mix the cream well into the caramel to make the sauce. I added a few tablespoons of milk too as I was running out of cream. For a richer tart, use only cream.
Add in the vanilla and stir well.
Add in the chopped dark chocolates and let it stand for 2 minutes in the hot caramel sauce.
Then whisk it well to form a luscious caramel chocolate ganache. You may wanna add a pinch of salt here. I skipped coz I used salted butter.
Transfer the mixture into the prepared chocolate base shell.
Spread it evenly with a spatula. Let it chill in the refrigerator for about 2-3 hours or until it is completely set.
Take it out and decorate with whatever you wish. I grated some chocolate all over!
Enjoy a messy slice!
- 2 cups chocolate biscuits / graham crackers
- 2 TBsp Butter
- 1 cup chopped Dark Chocolate
- ½ cup granulated Sugar
- 2 TBsp water
- 2 TBsp unsalted Butter
- 1.5 cups cream (or 1 cups cream and ½ cup milk)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt (skip if using salted butter)
- a 9 inch tart pan
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / 350 F. Spray a 9” tart pan with non stick cooking spray / butter well and set aside
- In a large bowl, mix together well crushed chocolate graham crackers / biscuits and melted butter.
- Press this mixture in the tart pan making sure you press it very evenly and tightly. Use the back of a cup / ramekin to press down tightly.
- Bake this for about 15 minutes at 200C and let it cool.
- Refrigerate it until use.
- To a non stick pan, add sugar and water and let it melt on medium low heat.
- Add the butter and let it melt into the mixture.
- Once the mixture turns a deep golden brown color, turn off the heat & add the cream and mix well.
- To the hot cream, add the chocolate & vanilla extract and let it sit in there for 2 minutes. Then mix the chocolate gently into the cream to get caramel chocolate ganache. Add a pinch of salt if you're using unsalted butter.
- Take the baked tart shell out of the fridge; add in the filling and spread evenly all over.
- Chill for 2 hours or until completely set.
- Decorate with chocolate chips, grated chocolate, whipped cream, fresh fruit etc.
Since this is a rich dessert, a little goes a long way! Its not a good idea to make it just for yourself. This will be a perfect dessert for a dinner party or when you have to feed more mouths! I hope you try this at home!
Here’s what you’ll be needing to make this super simple tart –