Attention all you bread lovers, this cheesy Pizza Monkey Bread recipe from scratch is all you need for eternity! Stuffed with cheese and topped off with fresh pizza sauce, these fluffy rolls will leave you craving for more!
Do yourself a favor and double the recipe, please! I mean, come ON! You are looking at one of the cheesiest, fluffiest, tastiest bread I’ve ever made – which is not so overly cheesy that it would give you a tummy ache and yet cheesy enough to leave you licking your fingers for hours after!
Did I ever mention that I’m the self-proclaimed queen of Subtlety?
These rolls are every bit as good as they sound. No, they are even better than that! Fresh pizza sauce, herbs, cheese and an easy homemade pizza dough recipe. But instead of a pizza, you’re making little bites of cheesy goodness. It’s like your regular old version of a Margarita Pizza, just turned up a notch!
Before you begin, you’ll need to decide which sauce you are going to use. I went with my classic marinara sauce. Simple, homey and delicious! If you’re really into cheese, you can double the effect with some cheese sauce. Or use whichever pizza sauce you like.
Cheesy Pizza Monkey Bread – Printable Recipe
- 1 teaspoon Active Dry Yeast (or ¾ teaspoon Instant Yeast)
- ½ teaspoon Sugar
- ¼ cup Lukewarm Water
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- ¼ cup Milk
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour (depending on the flour, you may need an addition 1 or 2 Tablespoons of flour to make a smooth dough)
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt (adjust to suit your taste)
- 1 cup Pizza Sauce - homemade or store bought (refer to recipes on this website for more sauce recipes)
- 1 Tablespoon Mixed Herbs (oregano, basil, pepper, rosemary etc.)
- 1 Tablespoon Chilli Flakes
- ½ cup Grated Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 inch cubes of Mozzarella Cheese (as many as the number of rolls you make)
- 2 teaspoons Oil
- 2 teaspoons Semolina / Cornmeal
- To lukewarm water, add the sugar and yeast. Mix well and set aside for 4-5 minutes until yeast starts to bubble. (if using instant yeast, it won't bubble)
- Meanwhile, add butter to milk and bring to a gentle boil. Let the butter melt into the milk, mix well and set aside.
- To a mixing bowl, add flour, salt, milk mixture and yeast mixture. Mix well until combined. Then knead by hand for 10-15 minutes or by electric mixer for 8-10 minutes until you have a smooth, elastic dough.
- Oil a bowl, place the dough in it, cover and let it rise for 1 hour or until the dough doubles in volume.
- In a round baking pan, add oil all over the pan. Sprinkle generously with cornmeal or semolina. This will prevent the bread from sticking.
- Cut mozzarella cheese into ½ or 1 inch cubes and set aside. You'll need as many cubes as the number of rolls you plan to make.
- Punch down the dough. Take portions of the dough, roll it into thin 2-3 inch logs. Cut into bite sized pieces and roll each piece into a lemon-sized ball. (You can make larger rolls too, if you want)
- Stuff each roll with a cheese cube, roll again to seal the edges.
- Place all the rolls into the prepared baking pan at a distance of ½ inch from each other. Cover the pan and let it rise for 30 minutes in a warm spot or until the rolls have plumped up.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 200 C / 400 F
- Generously brush the rolls with melted butter. Spread the sauce all over and add mixed herbs all over the rolls.
- Bake at 200 C for 20-25 minutes or until the rolls are fully cooked through.
- Remove from the oven, let the rolls cool a bit and then serve warm with the dip of your choice.
Cheesy Pizza Monkey Bread – Step by step Recipe
Start by adding yeast and sugar to warm water. Set that aside for 4-5 minutes till yeast starts to foam up. Refer to this tutorial to know all about proofing yeast. Also add some butter to the milk and bring to to a gentle boil. Mix both mixtures.
To the flour, add salt, yeast mixture and the milk & butter mixture. Mix everything together, knead for 10-15 minutes until you have a smooth and elastic dough.
Cover and let the dough rise for 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in volume.
Take portions of the dough, roll into a thin 2 or 3 inch thick log. Cut into equal bite-sized pieces. Roll into neat lemon-sized balls.
Meanwhile, you can also cut mozzarella cheese into 1 inch cubes. Stuff 1 cube into 1 ball and roll again to seal everything together.
Place all the rolled balls into the prepared pan at a distance of 1/2 an inch or so from each other. Cover and let the rolls rise for another 30 minutes or until they have plumped up. Brush well with melted butter.
Sprinkle some grated mozzarella all over the rolls.
Bake at 200 C for 20 minutes or until the rolls are fully cooked through.
Let them rest for 5 minutes. Slowly loosen up the edges are remove. You can pull apart each roll, dip into your favorite sauce / dip and enjoy!