Sponge Cake with Chocolate Marshmallow Frosting
Cure your insatiable appetite for chocolate cake with this easy sponge cake with marshmallow frosting. The whole thing comes together in under 45 minutes (if you have all the ingredients of course). This makes for a lovely dessert on the dinner table or as a birthday cake or just to munch on to beat boredom. Chocolate usually is the answer to all my problems! And having a simple and quick recipe like this one is great for days when I don’t feel like making something elaborate.
Here’s a simple Chocolate cake recipe.
Sponge Cake with Chocolate Marshmallow Frosting – Recipe
- 1 and ¼ cup All Purpose Flour (maida)
- ¼ cup unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- ¾ cup Powdered Sugar (adjust to taste)
- ¾ cup thick Plain Yogurt
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- a pinch of Salt
- ¼ cup or 5-6 pieces of Marshmallows
- ½ cup Dark or Semi sweet Chocolate
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- ¼ cup Cream or Milk
- Preheat oven to 160C (150C if its a convection oven). Grease and line a 6 or 7 inch cake pan.
- Mix together yogurt and powdered sugar to form a smooth mixture.
- Add baking soda, baking powder and salt to the yogurt mixture and mix well. Let it rest for 5 minutes. You will notice many air bubbles on the surface of the yogurt.
- Add oil and vanilla extract to the yogurt mixture and mix well.
- Add flour and unsweetened cocoa powder and mix gently to form a smooth, lump free batter. Do not overmix or you will end up with a bread-like texture.
- Add to the prepared baking pan and bake at 160C for 30-35 minutes or until the cake is fully cooked through.
- Let the cake cool completely. Remove from the mold and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add all the ingredients (butter, chocolate, chopped marshmallows and cream) and microwave on full power for 5 minutes. Every 1 minute, remove the bowl and mix everything to avoid burning. Keep microwaving and stirring until you have a frosting-like consistency. Set aside to cool
- Spread the chocolate frosting on top of the sponge cake. You cake make a layered cake or ever spread the frosting all over the cake or just the top.
Sponge Cake with Chocolate Marshmallow Frosting – Step by step pictures
Mix sugar and yogurt till there are no lumps.
Add baking powder, baking soda and salt to the yogurt mixture and mix well. Let it rest for 5 minutes. You’ll notice many air bubbles on the surface of the yogurt. Then add vegetable oil and mix well.
Add cocoa powder, all purpose flour and mix well to form a smooth batter. Do not overmix ir you’ll end up with a bread like texture.
Bake at 160C for 30-35 minutes or until the cake is completely cooked through. Let it cool completely and remove from the mold and set aside.
In a microwave safe bowl, add butter, marshmallows, baking chocolate and milk / cream. Microwave for 5 minutes. Stop at every 1 minutes and mix to aviod burning the chocolate. Mix well until you have a smooth frosting. Let it cool a bit. You can also make this on a stove top.
Frost the cake with the marshmallow frosting. Slice and serve.