I love sponge cakes. However, nailing the texture of any traditional cake without using eggs is always a challenge. And even though I found a great recipe for a sponge cake using aerated cola, I was always on the look out for something simple. Something that didn’t involve fancy or expensive ingredients.
Here is a simple eggless chocolate sponge cake recipe that you can put together in under an hour.
Below is a video tutorial on how to make eggless chocolate sponge cake –
EGGLESS SPONGE CAKE RECIPE | Chocolate Sponge Cake
(Print this recipe)
Prep Time: 5 min
Bake Time: 45 min
Bake Temp: 160 C
Makes: 1, 8 inch cake
1 1/4 cup All purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup Powdered sugar (adjust according to taste)
1 cup thick yogurt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
a pinch of salt
(1 cup is around 200 grams)
1. Preheat oven to 160C
2. Grease & Line your baking pan
3. Add powdered sugar to thick yogurt / curd.
4. Beat well to form a smooth mixture
5. Add to the yogurt, baking powder, baking soda & a pinch of salt
6. Beat the mixture well. You’ll start seeing tiny bubbles all over the yogurt.
7. Let it rest for 5 minutes. You’ll see even more bubbles! (Its a pretty sight! :D)
8. Meanwhile, sift your flour & cocoa twice.
9. Add oil and vanilla extract to the yogurt
10. Mix well
11. Add the flour mix 1 big spoon at a time while incorporating the flour into the yogurt mix
12. Keep doing until all the flour is in the yogurt mix. It shouldn’t be too thin or too thick. (If too thin, add 1 tbsp of flour and if its too thick, add a few drops of milk or water)
13. Pour the batter in the prepared baking pan. (I poured in a 9 inch pan so got a flatter cake)
14. Cover with aluminum foil IF your cake tops generally burns
15. Bake at 160 C for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean without leaving wet batter.
16. Invert, remove the parchment paper & let it cool completely before covering with frosting (if necessary).
- Serve as it is, chilled or slathered with generous frosting such as chocolate ganache, chocolate frosting etc.
- Skip cocoa powder to have a simple vanilla sponge
- The sponge is incredible even after spending 2 days in the fridge!