Hash browns or hashed browns are a simple potato preparation in which potato pieces are pan-fried after being shredded, julienned, diced, or riced. Hash browns are a staple breakfast food at diners in North America.
HASH BROWN POTATOES RECIPE
Prep Time: 5 min + 30 min (if soaking)
Cook Time: 5-8 min
Makes: 2 medium hash browns
2 large potatoes, peeled & soaked in salt water for 30 minutes
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
2-3 TBsp cooking oil
1. After soaking potatoes in cold salt water for 30 minutes, drain the water an pat the potatoes dry. – Optional step. I just soak in water as I feel the salt seeps into the potatoes.
2. Using a micro-plane or any grater, grate the potatoes. Squeeze any water out of them.
3. Add salt & pepper (or any other seasoning) and mix well.
4. Heat 1 TBsp oil on a flat plan / griddle (preferably non stick). Directly add the grated potatoes onto the pan spreading it out.
5. Let it cook on medium heat on one side for about 5 minutes. Very gently, using 2 spoons to support the hash brown, flip it over. If the potatoes are stuck and aren’t lifting out, add a few teaspoons of oil and let it cook for a further 2 minutes and gently scrape it.
– Depending upon how thick or thin you want, spread the potatoes. If you spread and make it flat, they will crisp up quicker.
– Ideally use a non stick so that potatoes don’t stick to the pan.