This Fresh Homemade Passata sauce, devoid of any preservatives is a wonderful Italian onion tomato paste to have on hand at all times!
This delicious, easy to prepare, Italian sauce is such a versatile thing to have on hand that I wonder how or why we ever survived on Tomato Ketchup to go with all our goodies! 🙂
It is such a brilliant recipe – onion, tomato, basil and garlic. That pretty much is all you need to make this mind boggling Passata sauce. You can use it as a dipping sauce, a sauce for Pasta or eat it straight out of the jar – it is guaranteed to be tasty at all times!
Follow these few simple steps to make Tomato Passata Sauce at Home –
- 4-6 Tomatoes. roughly chopped
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Oil (preferably olive oil)
- 4-6 Garlic Cloves
- 8-10 Basil Leaves (*If you don;t have fresh basil leaves, use 2 teaspoons dry basil)
- 1-2 teaspoons Salt (adjust to taste)
- 2 teaspoons Ground Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Tomato paste or ketchup
- a pinch of Sugar
- In a pan, heat 1 teaspoon oil and add chopped onions. Fry on medium heat till onions have developed a golden brown color.
- To a grinder / mixer / blender, add the chopped tomatoes, basil, fried onions, garlic and grind to a almost smooth paste
- In the same pan, heat remaining oil and add the ground onion - tomato paste along with ½ a cup of water. Let it cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes. It will start turning a deeper color
- Add the tomato paste, salt, pepper, sugar and mix well. Taste & adjust for seasoning. Let it boil for a final 5 minutes.
- Let it cool completely. Store in clean, air tight jars in the refrigerator. Use as required.
*You can also buy this sauce from the store.
Homemade Passata Sauce Recipe | Italian Onion Tomato paste from scratch
You’ll need –
Heat 1 teaspoon oil and Fry onions till it becomes a golden brown color
To the blender, add tomato, garlic, basil and fried onion. Grind to a smooth paste.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil and add the paste to the pan. Also add 1/2 cup water. Let it cook on medium heat for 8-10 minutes till sauce reduces and turns a deeper color
Add tomato paste, pepper, salt and sugar and mix well. Let it boil for a final 5 minutes.
Let it cool completely. Store in air tight jars in the container.