Learn How to cook fluffy Basmati Rice in a Pan with this useful tutorial.
Whether you’re making Pulao, Biryani, Fried Rice, Stuffed Peppers or Kheer, Basmati rice – with its wonderful aroma – is the most preferred choice. Indians use Basmati Rice extensively. Cooking rice in a pan is easy and requires all of 20 minutes. I prefer this method over the pressure cooker method for the Basmati rice because the rice comes out fluffy and separated here.
You can use the same concept to cook any kind of rice in a pan. The amount of water you will use will obviously differ – depending on what kind of rice you’re using.
For brown rice – since the coating is a lot more than regular white rice – more water will be required. Even within the white rice varieties, each one will require different amounts of water to be perfectly cooked. You’ll have to experiment until you know the exact amount of water that gives you your desired rice texture.
Here’s quick video tutorial on how to cook Basmati Rice in a pan –
How to cook Basmati Rice in a Pan – Printable Recipe
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- 1-2 teaspoons Salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1.5 - 2 cups Water (adjust depending on type of rice)
- A pan with high sides (preferably non stick)
- Generally, 1.5 cups is enough to cook fluffy rice. But if you feel like the texture could be a little softer, then add some more water.
- Soaking the rice for 30 minutes will help cook it faster, but it isn't a necessary step.
- Wash the rice really well till the water runs clean.
- Heat the oil in a pan with high sides.
- Drain water from the rice and add it to the pan, Mix the rice well with the oil. Let it fry until the moisture in the rice dries out.
- Add the salt and mix well.
- Add the water and mix well. Let the water come to a boil.
- Close the pan with a lid. Let the rice cook on low flame for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove the lid a fluff up the rice with a fork.
- Use as required
How to cook Basmati Rice in a Pan – Step by step pictures
Wash the rice till water runs clean
Heat oil in a pan. Add the rice and fry till water dries out (2-3 minutes)
Add salt and mix well.
Add water and mix well. Let water come to a boil.
Close with a lid and cook on low flame for 15 minutes or so. once rice is cooked, remove the lid and fluff up using a spatula or a fork
Use as required.