Jackfruit stir fry curry recipe… A healthy, low fat authentic South Indian recipe!
I just got back from a very long trip. Very long = Two and a Half MONTHS.
No, I wasn’t chilling. It was a work related trip. I did mention about that once or twice before. And boy, was I glad to be back home last week! You know what happens when a kid is away from home that long? The mother takes it upon herself to feed all the home cooked meals in the world to the kid within one hour of her returning! And she doesn’t stop until the kid feels like an over-sized stuff toy!! 😀
While previously, I would have simply dismissed this gem of a recipe as nothing “exciting” enough to post on my website; the long months of craving for simple South Indian food has driven me to share this simple & healthy Raw Jackfruit stir fry with y’all!
Jackfruit Stir Fry Printable Recipe –
- 2 cups Chopped Raw Jackfruit *(See Tips below on how to cut Jackfruit)
- 2 teaspoons Salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 cup Water
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Grated Coconut
- 3 Green Chili (adjust according to spice level required)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 2 teaspoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 2 tablespoons Curry Leaves
- Spread lots of newspapers over your work surface as this vegetable can get messy. Keep ½ a cup of vegetable oil by your side. Oil your hands and the sharp knife extremely well
- Cut the Raw jackfruit in the center to get 2 halves. Cut each half of the vegetable into large chunks. Remove the thorny, green part and discard it. Cut the remaining white part roughly into chunks. - **Keep oiling your hands & the knife as necessary
- Add the chopped chunks into a large bowl. Add the salt & turmeric and a cup of water. Mix well
- Option 1: Place the bowl in a pressure cooker and cook for 15 minutes or 2-3 whistles. Option 2: Place the bowl on the stove and let it boil on medium heat for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Discard the water completely. Let the vegetable cool a bit.
- Add all the ingredients to a blender / grinder and grind to a coarse paste.
- With help of a spatula or 2 forks, pull apart the cooked vegetable to shred into smaller pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds. Once that splutters, add the curry leaves.
- Add the cooked & shredded jack fruit to the pan. Mix well and let it fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the coarse coconut mixture, mix well and saute for 2-3 minutes. Switch off & serve as a salad or as a side dish to any South Indian meal
Jackfruit Stir Fry Recipe | South Indian Raw Jack fruit curry – step by step pictorials
Here is the Raw Jackfruit all chopped up –
Add salt, turmeric & water to the jackfruit. Cook it for around 15 minutes or until it is tender. Discard the water completely.
Meanwhile, add coconut, chilli & cumin seeds to a blender / grinder. Grind to a coarse paste and set aside.
Using 2 forks or a spatula, break up the cooked jackfruit to shred into smaller pieces.
In a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds. When that splutters, add curry leaves. Add the shredded jackfruit and saute for 2-3 minutes
Add the ground paste and mix well. Saute for 2-3 minutes & switch off the flame!
Enjoy the healthy jackfruit stir fry!