It is perhaps unfair to post jalapeño two days in a row. 😀 But you need to know just how sinfully delectable both these dishes are. I wouldn’t categorize either of these as “Healthy Foods”. The baked cheese jalapeño, although ‘baked’ involves a ton of cheese; while these fritters avoid cheese but make up for the fat by frying in hot oil! Ideally, you could eat one. (or if you’ve been good & working out, then two! :P) Since these fritters are stuffed with mashed potatoes, you’re left feeling full after just one or two. This is a very basic version. I wouldn’t recommend spicing up the stuffing as the jalapeños are spicy.
Jalapeño Fritters Recipe | Mirchi Bhajiya recipe | Molagai Bajji Recipe
(Print this recipe)
Prep Time – 10 minutes
Fry time – 2-3 minutes
Makes – 4 big fritters
Jalapeños – 4
Boiled & mashed potatoes – 2 medium
Turmeric powder – a pinch (optional)
Chickpea flour (Besan) – 1 1/2 cups (300 grams)
Rice Flour – 1/2 cup (100 grams)
Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp (optional)
Salt – 1/2 tsp or more (taste & adjust)
Asafoetida / Hing – a pinch (optional)
Baking Soda – 1/4 tsp (optional)
Water – 300 ml (as required)
Vegetable Oil, for deep frying
1. Cut the top of the peppers out. Slice them through the middle and remove all the seeds inside (this reduces the spiciness). Don’t cut them completely. Cut up to three fourth of the length of the jalapeno.
2. In a mixing bowl, add chickpea flour (besan), rice flour, salt, asafoetida, red chili powder, baking soda & mix well
3. Add enough water to make it into a thick, yet liquid-y batter. Keep aside.
4. Mix boiled & mashed potatoes with a pinch of salt ad turmeric powder. (you could also use other spices but keep in mind that it shouldn’t overpower the jalapeno’s taste)
5. Slowly, without breaking the chili, stuff as much as potato you can into the chilli.
6. Dip the chili completely in the batter
7. Deep fry in hot oil on both the sides until golden brown. (Once the fritters are in the oil, reduce the flame to medium so as to not burn the fritters. Fry on both sides for around 2 minutes)
8. Slice and serve with ketchup! 🙂
If you don’t have a pan large enough to fit a big jalapeno, cut them into halves & quarters before dipping into the batter & deep frying