Follow the recipe for microwave vegetable pulao to make a quick & aromatic one pot meal!
Today’s microwave vegetable pulao recipe is sponsored by Best Foods Inc. – makers of premium quality Basmati Rice.
I am a rice-a-holic. I eat some kind of a rice dish for breakfast, lunch and dinner! Be it some soft rice idlis to kick of the day or a simple curd rice to end the day, rice is a major component of my diet. I do have a post on how I cook my rice in the pressure cooker. More often than not, it is the tool we use to cook everything from rice, potatoes and even beans!
However, once in a while, I like to put my Microwave to good use. And whenever I do, I like to cook Pulao in it! Only because I can! And because the texture of the rice is fluffy and wonderful when cooked in the microwave!
It is not much different than making it in a pressure cooker or a pan. If you own nothing but a microwave, then you would love this recipe since you’re essentially making everything in one microwave pan.
It is crucial that you use the very best quality rice to get the very best dish! And I am incredibly satisfied with this Basmati Rice by Best Foods Group. They are the largest exporters of Basmati Rice from India and you would know why they are so successful, if you used this rice. Not only are the grains long and aromatic, but they also cook in under 15 minutes and have a great texture as well.
Microwave Vegetable Pulao – Printable Recipe
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- ½ cup Sliced Onions
- 1 cup Mixed Vegetables (Carrots, green Beans, Bell Peppers, Cauliflower, Corn, Peas etc.)
- 2 Green Chilli, split in the center (remove seeds for less spicy version)
- 3 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 3-4 Cloves
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 teaspoon Garlic, grated
- ½ teaspoon Ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 tablespoon Salt (adjust to suit taste)
- 1.5 cups Water *
- Wash the rice extremely well. If you have the time, soak for 30 minutes. Drain and set the rice aside.
- Heat oil in microwave for 2 minutes.
- Add cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf, green chilli, ginger, garlic & mix well. Microwave on full power for 2 minutes until the spices start to get aromatic.
- Add the onions & mixed vegetables and mix well. Microwave for 2-3 minutes or until the onions have turned translucent and the vegetables have softened a bit.
- Add the drained out rice and salt and mix well. Microwave for 2 minutes for the rice to dry out a bit.
- Add the water and mix well. At this point, you can taste to check for seasoning and add more salt if required.
- Microwave for 12-15 minutes on full power. Once or twice, stop; remove the bowl, mix everything with a fork and continue to cook.
- Once the rice is cooked, give one final mix up with a fork and enjoy hot pulao!
Microwave Vegetable Pulao – step by step recipe
Heat the oil for 2 minutes in a microwave safe bowl. Add the dry spices, cumin seeds, green chilli, ginger & garlic. Microwave for another 2 minutes till the spices leave an aroma. Mix well.
Add the veggies, mix well and microwave for about 2 minutes. The onions & carrots will turn slightly translucent.
Add the washed & drained rice and mix well. Also add the salt and mix well.
Add enough water and microwave for 15 minutes. Once or twice, open, mix everything with a fork and continue to cook.
There you go! Hot microwave vegetable pulao ready in under 30 minutes!