Paneer is the evergreen ingredient used in Indian cuisines! This is a new flavor I tried using Cottage Cheese and Fennel seeds and it turned out to be awesome! Yet again, this is a pressure cooker recipe. You can also make it on a vessel with a lid. But pressure cooker just makes my life simple!
PANEER SAUNF PULAO | Cottage Cheese Fennel Rice
1 cup Basmati Rice (aromatic long rice)
1 cup chopped onions
3 green chillies, cut length wise
2 inch cinnamon
2 bay leaves
3 TBsp Fennel seeds
1 tsp grated ginger
1 cup cubed paneer (cottage cheese)
1.5 cups water
1 TBsp salt (to taste)
1 TBsp vegetable oil
1. Wash and soak rice for 20 minutes. Then drain out the water
2. Heat oil in a pressure cooker.
3. Add fennel seeds. When they start to burst, add cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves, ginger & give a stir.
4. Add in the green chili and onions. Sauté until onions are translucent (around 2 min)
5. Add the rice & mix well.
6. Add water and salt. Mix well. Taste & adjust for salt.
7. Let that come to a boil.
8. Close the pressure cooker with whistle on & let it cook for until ONE WHISTLE. Immediately switch of the flame. Wait for at least 15 minutes until the pressure escapes. Then lift open the lid.
9. With a fork or back of a spoon, gently fluff up the rice mixing all spices together. Be careful not to mash the rice.
While the rice is cooking, heat some oil & shallow fry the paneer cubes & set aside.
While serving, add the rice and top it off with crunchy paneer pieces. Serve with any spicy curry and you’re good to go! 😀