Easy to put together pesto swirl rolls with a hint of exotic herbs and extra cheese!
First things first: Swirls add a pinch of happiness to the food. Am I right or what? 😀 I’m a big believer in spending little time cooking and as much time eating. But I do like a little zing in my food. I mean, how often can you eat the same bread over and over again? I am a carbaholic and I love bread. But a little twist every now and then makes eating bread a much more fun experience. And making swirl rolls are just so darn easy, that I often forego a pizza or a tortilla for these babies.
Sorry to have called these pesto swirl rolls babies. But these are adorable looking and just a pleasure to devour! Serve them with my super healthy barley vegetable soup for a complete meal.
If you’re like me, you probably stock some pizza dough in your freezer at all times. If you don’t, well a) WHY AREN’T YOU? and b) It doesn’t take much time to make the dough from scratch either. (If you’re looking for a healthier version, I’ve got a great whole wheat pizza dough recipe too) And the filling is where you bring on your A-game! There are literally 100s of pesto varieties and you get to switch things up every time you make these rolls.
Pesto Swirl Rolls – printable recipe
- ½ pound / 225 grams Pizza Dough (homemade or store bought)
- Pesto of any kind (make sure it is thick like a paste & not saucy)
- Mixed herbs / Pizza seasoning
- Hot pepper flakes / Chili flakes
- Grated Cheese (optional)
- Oil / Melted Butter / Egg-wash
- For pizza dough recipe, search "pizza dough" on www.foodomania.com
- Brush a baking pan with oil / butter and sprinkle some cornmeal / semolina all over. This will prevent the pesto swirl rolls from sticking to the pan.
- Thaw the pizza dough. And then let it rise again in a warm spot for about an hour.
- Add some flour on the board and roll out the pizza into a thin sheet. Thinner you roll, more swirls you can get.
- Leaving about ½ an inch on all sides, generously add the pesto. Sprinkle some mixed herbs and grated cheese.
- Starting from the longer side, tightly roll into a log and seal the edges by pinching the end of the dough into the log. Cut of extra sides.
- You can cut about 16 swirls out of a log of 12-14 inches long. Start by cutting log in half. Then cut each half by another half. Keep doing the same until you have as many swirl rolls as you like.
- Place each swirl roll on the baking pan about ½-1 inch apart. Cover with plastic wrap of loose kitchen towel and let the rolls rise for a good 1 hour or until the rolls have plumped up well. Meanwhile, heat over to 190 C (170 if using convection)
- Once the rolls have doubled in size, brush with melted butter / egg wash. Add some more pesto on top if you like.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until the rolls are cooked.
- Let them cool slightly. Un-mold, pull them apart and enjoy warm.
Pesto Swirl Rolls – step by step recipe
Start by thawing some pizza dough
Roll out to a think approximate rectangular sheet.
Leaving 1/2 an inch on each side, add the pesto and spread it well. Sprinkle with herbs and grated cheese.
Starting from longer side, roll into a tight log and pinch end into the log.
Cut the log into equal sized pieces and place on the baking sheet.
cover and let the rolls rise for 1 hour or until double in volume.
Brush with some more melted butter. You can also brush some pesto, if you like.
Bake at 190 C for 20 minutes or until the rolls are fully cooked through. Serve warm.
For more yeast-y bread recipes —