Made with fresh tomato and onions, Pico de Gallo is a Mexican salad served along side tortilla chips or as a topping for burgrers, tacos, nachos etc.
With Cinco de Mayo round the corner, lots of Mexican recipes are popping up on the internet. While nothing beats my love for Indian food, I do enjoy the fresh flavors of the Mexican cuisine too.
Pico de Gallo is one of the easiest salads you’ll ever make. Simply put, it is an onion and tomato salad spruced up with lemon, garlic and coriander. It tastes great as is, or with tortilla chips (or any chips, to be honest!), on tacos, burgers, bruschetta, enchilada, quesadillas, nachos, fajitas etc.
Don’t think of this as a strict “recipe” you have to follow. Play with the flavors to make something suitable to your taste.
Pico de Gallo Salsa Recipe – Printable Recipe
- ½ cup finely diced Onions
- 1 Garlic clove
- ½ - 1 lime (as per taste)
- ½ teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers / 1-2 Tablespoons minced (adjust to taste)
- 4 plum Tomatoes, diced finely (makes 2 cups approximately)
- ½ cup chopped Cilantro or Coriander Leaves
- Finely chop the onion and place it in a small bowl.
- Using a microplane, grate the garlic into the bowl (or use a garlic press or very finely chop it with a knife.)
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Taste and adjust for seasoning, if required.
- Cover and let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 2-3 hours, to let the flavors seep in.
- Serve as desired.
- As the salsa sits longer, it will start releasing water. You can consume it, or discard it.
There really is no step here! Just mix everything together, taste for seasoning and let it rest in the fridge for a couple hours before serving! 🙂