This Tomato Soup is fancy enough to be a great party drink and at the same time is an elixir for cold or flu!
I don’t mean to whine on my blog here but WTF is wrong with the weather in Mumbai? It was supposed to be the month of bright sun before winter set in. But the rain doesn’t seem to wanna say goodbye! With climate yo-yo comes cold, flu, viral fever, sore throat et al… And because yours truly has the worst immune system ever, she is first ones to fall sick.
I’ve been down with a bad case of flu and this soup has truly been my bowl of comfort. Besides, you’ve seen the smooth soups at restaurants? Well… this one is like that. You could of course adjust the flavors to suit your palate.
TOMATO SOUP RECIPE | Healthy Vegan Tomatoes & Vegetable Soup
Start off by chopping tomatoes, onions & carrots into roughly large chunks. I use the pressure cooker. But check the printable recipe for alternatives. Cook the veggies in a little bit of water for upto 2 whistles and switch off the flame.
Drain out and reserve all the water from cooking the veggies.
Add the veggies to a blender
Puree it to a very smooth paste
Pass it through a sieve if you want that smooth restaurant quality texture
Add the reserved water and some additional stock if required. Place it on the stove. Heat it up
Season with salt, pepper and other spices you want
Let it come to a boil. If the soup is too thick, thin it out with water or vegetable stock. If it is to liquid-y, let it boil longer until water starts evaporating and the soup thickens
Serve hot with a small cube of butter (optional) and additional pepper
- 2 large Tomatoes, roughly cut into large chunks
- 1 Onion, roughly cut into large chunks
- 1 Carrot, peeled & roughly cut into large chunks
- 1 Capsicum (Bell pepper), roughly cut into large chunks
- Vegetable Stock or Water, as required
- 1 teaspoon Salt (adjust to taste)
- 2 teaspoons Ground Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Sugar (if the mixture is too tangy)
- Other spices you like (Cinnamon, Cumin, Oregano etc.)
- 1 teaspoon small block of Butter (optional)
- Ground Black Pepper (depending on spiciness)
- Crispy Bread Croutons (optional)
- Blender or Food Processor
- Pressure Cooker or a Pan
- You can make this soup with just tomato alone. I feel like adding other veggies gives the soup more volume, better taste and makes it less tangy
- I like to keep the soup simple with salt & pepper. Feel free to play with the flavors
- Add all the veggies to the pressure cooker & fill it with water just enough to cover the veggies
- Cook until 2 whistles, switch off & wait for steam to escape
- Fill a pot with chopped veggies & add enough water to cover the veggies plus 1 cup more.
- Let it boil away for 10 minutes or until the veggies - especially carrot softens
- Drain out and reserve all the water from cooking the veggies.
- Add the veggies to a blender & puree it to a very smooth paste
- Pass it through a sieve if you want that smooth restaurant quality texture. If you don't mind a few skins or chunks, leave this step out
- Add the reserved water to the puree & place it on the stove. Heat it up
- Season with salt, pepper, sugar and other spices you want
- Let it come to a rolling boil.
- Serve hot with a small cube of butter (optional) and additional pepper.
- If the soup is too thick, thin it out with water or vegetable stock. If it is to liquid-y, let it boil longer until water starts evaporating and the soup thickens
- You can also have some crispy bread cubes or toast to go along with the soup and you have yourself a wholesome meal!