Turtle Chocolate Cupcakes are perfect little treats for kids and adults alike.
If you spent as much time visually devouring desserts on the internet as I do, you’re bound to come across recipes that draw your interests every now and then.
Turtle Chocolate Layer Cake was one such recipe. A moist chocolate cake sandwiched with caramel and topped of with pecans? Sounded fascinating. But I wasn’t ready to bake an elaborate layer cake. So I ended up making what most deconstructed cakes result into – cupcakes. These Turtle Chocolate Cupcakes are simple to put together and look damn elegant!
Turtle Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe – Printable Recipe
- 1 and ¼ cup All Purpose Flour
- ⅓ cup Granulated Sugar (adjust to taste)
- ¼ cup unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1½ teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- a pinch of Salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon plain White Vinegar
- ¼ cup Vegetable Oil or Melted Butter
- ¾ cup Water (adjust for consistency)
- ¼ cup Butter (softened, at room temperature)
- ⅓ cup Powdered Sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tablespoons Caramel Sauce
- Caramel Sauce
- Chocolate Chips
- Mixed Nuts - chopped
- Turtle candies
- Using granulated sugar gives the cupcakes a texture that is suited for this recipe.. But you can use powdered sugar for a smoother texture too.
- Preheat oven to 160C. Line cupcakes molds with liners.
- Mix flour, cocoa powder, granulated sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda.
- Add the wet ingredients - oil / melted butter, vanilla extract, vinegar and water.
- Mix everything well to form a smooth batter with no lumps.
- Fill the molds half-full with the batter.
- Bake at 160C for 25 minutes or until the cupcakes are fully cooked through.
- Remove the pan and let the cupcakes cool completely.
- Add powdered sugar and caramel to soft butter. Beat the ingredients together to form a smooth and creamy mixture. If the mixture is too loose / melting, chill it for 10 minutes.
- Add the caramel vanilla buttercream to a zip-lock bag or piping bag and snip off the edge.
- Pipe it out onto the cupcakes.
- Drizzle some caramel sauce and top it off with mixed nuts, chocolate chips or chopped turtle candies.
- Chill for 15-20 minutes and serve.
- This stays good for up to 3 days in the refrigerator but best eaten on the same day.
Turtle Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe – Step by Step Pictures
Step 1: Make the Chocolate Cupcakes (Use this recipe or any one of your liking)
Let the chocolate cupcakes cool completely.
Step 2: Make the Caramel Sauce following this recipe (can be done ahead of time – or use ready-made caramel sauce)
Step 3: Make the Caramel-flavored Vanilla Buttercream
Step 4: Add the buttercream to a piping bag or ziplock bag and cut off the edge
Step 5: Pipe out some frosting on the chocolate cupcakes. Add some caramel sauce, mixed chopped nuts and chocolate chips to decorate.
Step 6: Chill the cupcakes for at least 30 minutes to let the buttercream set. Serve fresh!