Inspired by the Indian-style burgers by McDonald’s, here is a recipe for the double-decker Veg Maharaja Mac!
I love making burgers at home. As a vegetarian, the burger patty options really only consist of veggies or some form of cheese. But despite the limited choices, there are tonnes of flavors one could experiment with. Take this veg maharaja mac for example.
It has been inspired by the burger sold in India by McDonald’s. It may not taste exactly the same, but it comes close. With a cheesy-corn base and a delectable sauce (that takes 2 minutes to put together), this double-layer burger is a treat!
Veg Maharaja Mac Recipe | Indian Double-Decker Burgers – Printable Recipe
- 6 medium Potatoes
- 1 cup Green Peas
- 1 cup Sweet Corn
- 4 Green Chilli
- 4-6 cloves Garlic
- ⅓ cup Bread Crumbs
- 3 Tablespoons Cornstarch (cornflour)
- ½ cup Grated Cheese (mozzarella or cheddar or any processed cheese you like)
- 2 teaspoons Garam Masala powder
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli powder (adjust for spice)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Powder
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder (haldi)
- 1 Tablespoon Salt (adjust for taste)
- ½ teaspoon Sugar
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- ½ cup Mayo
- ½ cup Tomato Ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Chilli Sauce (optional)
- 2 Jalapeno Chili - chopped finely (adjust for spice)
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Oregano / Pizza seasoning (optional)
- Salt, if required
- Burger Buns - For each veg maharaja mac, you will need the top of 1 burger and the base of 2 burgers. That is how you build the 2 layers.
- Butter, to toast the buns (optional)
- Iceberg Lettuce Leaves
- Sliced Onions
- Slice Cheese
- Boil / cook potatoes and peas and sweet corn separately. Discard the water.
- Add peas, sweet corn, green chili, garlic cloves to a food processor and grind to a coarse paste.
- Peel and mash the potatoes.
- Add the peas and corn paste to mashed potatoes.
- Add the grated cheese, spices, salt, sugar, cornflour and bread crumbs. Mix well. Taste and adjust for seasoning if required.
- Divide into equal portions and form neat patties. You can form these a day in advance too and freeze them,
- Heat some oil in a pan and fry the patties on each side on medium flame for 3-4 minutes each or until each side has crisped up.
Veg Maharaja Mac Recipe | Indian Double-Decker Burgers – Step By Step Pictures
Boil potatoes and peas (and sweet corn) separately. Discard the water.
Add peas, sweet corn, green chili, garlic cloves to a food processor and grind to a smooth paste.
Add the peas and corn paste to mashed potatoes. Add the cheese, spices, cornflour and bread crumbs. Mix well. Taste and adjust for seasoning if required.
Divide into equal portions and form neat patties. Heat some oil in a pan and fry the patties on each side on medium flame for 3-4 minutes each or until each side has crisped up.
To make a sauce, add some tomato ketchup, mayo, butter, chili sauce, sliced jalapenos, oregano, ground black pepper. Microwave / heat for 30 seconds and mix well. Taste and add salt if required.
To form the veg maharaja mac – lightly toast the buns if you like. I always prefer toasting the burger buns.. Add the sauce to the first base. Place some iceberg lettuce leaves on the bottom, some onions, tomato and a slice of cheese. Add the first patty. Top it off with some sliced tomatoes (optional) and place the 2nd base on top of the patty. Add some sauce, lettuce, onions, cheese and then patty. Close with the top half of the burger bun and serve!
Enjoy fresh / hot.