Inspired from the traditional Italian recipe, this Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese is a tasty Pasta dish you can pull together in 15 minutes!
2 words – Vegan Bolognese. Sounds like an oxymoron or what?! 🙂 But you gotta make do with what you can when you don’t eat meat! And this time, mushroom, veggies and ladles of delicious homemade tomato passata sauce helped me in veganizing the traditional meat dish.
Have you checked this sauce out yet? It is a life safer – really! Not only is it amazing as a dipping sauce, but it also cleans up real good in pizzas and pasta dishes too. Here’s how I put together my quick vegan spaghetti bolognese —
- ½ pound (200 grams) Spaghetti (or any pasta)
- 1 cup Tomato Passata Sauce
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Carrot, finely chopped
- 1 Bell Pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup Mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2 teaspoons Salt (adjust to taste)
- 2 teaspoons ground Black Pepper
- It is an Italian sauce that you can make at home or buy. If you don't have this, you can use any other Italian tomato sauce.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add 1 tablespoon of Salt to it. Add the Spaghetti / Pasta and cook for 6-8 minutes or according to package instructions.
- In a pan with high sides, heat oil and add the garlic. Let it fry for 10 seconds. Add onions and carrots and saute for 2-3 minutes or medium heat or until the onions are translucent. Add mushrooms, bell peppers and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the sauce and ½ cup of water and let the mixture cook for 5 minutes.
- Season with pepper and salt. Pour the sauce onto the cooked pasta and toss it well.
- Serve hot.
Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese – step by step pictorial
Bring a pot of water iwth salt to a boil. Ad dthe pasta and cook according to package instructions.
Heat oil in a pan. Add garlic, onions, mushrooms and carrot. Let it fry for 2-3 minutes until the veggies soften. Then ad dthe bell peppers
Add the sauce and half cup water. Mix well and let the mixture cook for 4-5 minutes till you have a thick veggie-sauce
Add the sauce to spaghetti and toss well
Serve hot and enjoy!
Other Pasta dishes you’ll love —
Almond Butter Pasta