Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
Did you read the title as Spaghetti Ugly-Oh é Oh-leeo? Then you’re wrong. 😛 It is actually Spaghetti Aaleo-e-leo. Weird huh? I didn’t come up with the name so don’t blame me! 😉 Blame the Italian who came up with Aglio-e-Olio. But bless her/him, for this is one gooooooood dish! All this dish is – is spaghetti with garlic & olive oil sauce. Super simple ingredients, simple flavors.. and so very simple to make! 🙂
Apparently, my blog has too many cakes and cookies and lacks simple meals. So, the next few dishes are going to be super simple & easy meals for everyone 🙂 This Pasta dish has neither a red sauce nor a white sauce. It is simply garnished with garlic and olive oil. And believe you me, it tastes unbelievably awesome! I never thought something as simple as garlic and olive oil could brighten up a whole dish. But I was wrong! 😀
The garlic is supposed to be cut into thin slices. But I suck at chopping so I stuck to chopping them finely. It really is okay. 😀 And if you are someone who loves spice, this can be pretty bland if you don’t spruce it up with pepper and chillies… which I did, obviously! 🙂 You could use any kind of Pasta for this.. but Spaghetti adheres to the sauce extremely well.
Let’s get started…
1st thing you wanna do is fill a big pot with water, sprinkle good amount of salt and get that to a boil.
Once it starts boiling, add in your Spaghetti
Cook for 8-10 minutes or until the spaghetti is cooked. Read package instructions.
Drain the water out. DO NOT RINSE it in cold water.
Transfer the Spaghetti back to the same pot.
Meanwhile, to a small wok/pan, add in the olive oil & garlic & chilli. You have to add them to cold oil so that the flavors are infused in the oil.
Let the oil heat up on medium low heat. It has to continue heating until the garlic turns golden brown. There’s no need to stir as the garlic won’t stick to the bottom.
Transfer the sizzling hot oil directly to the cooked Spaghetti.
Add in chopped fresh herbs like Italian parsley or coriander, salt & pepper.
Toss it well. Be careful not to break the spaghetti. Use a wooden spoon & a fork.
Grate in some Parmesan cheese. I used Mozzarella instead as I was out of Parmesan. And although not traditional, adding a dollop of butter adds to the richness of the dish. Skip the butter if you don’t want it.
Toss everything well. Taste and add more chilli flakes or salt if you wish to.
Serve HOT. Enjoy!
It looks like a lot of steps, doesn’t it? But actually, you’re only cooking spaghetti, heating garlic in oil and mixing it all up. Try it, you’ll love it! Print out the recipe from below. Be sure to adjust the chilli flakes & fresh chilli & pepper to suit your palate. I needed a LOT of chilli flakes to make it edible for myself! 🙂
Spaghetti tossed in a garlic olive oil sauce
- 200 gms (7 oz) Spaghetti (or any kind of Pasta)
- 1/4 cup sliced Garlic (or chopped finely. whichever is easy)
- 1/5 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan (or Mozzarella cheese)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Parsley (or cilantro or basil)
- 3 Red Chilli Peppers (or use green)
- 1 TBsp of dry Chilli Flakes
- 2 tsp Salt (adjust as per taste)
- 2 tsp Pepper (adjust)
- 1 Tbsp butter (optional)
- *** 1 cup = 200 grams / ml
- Fill a large pot with water & get that to a boil. Once its hot, add the Spaghetti and cook for 8-10 minutes or until it is cooked through. Drain the water out and add the Spaghetti back to the pot. (do not wash the Spaghetti)
- In a small pan, add garlic, chilli flakes & fresh chilli to cold olive oil. In medium low, let the oil become hot. Keep cooking until the oil is sizzling and garlic turns golden brown.
- Add the sizzling oil to the Spaghetti.
- Add the salt, pepper, chopped leaves, grated cheese, butter and toss everything together.
- Serve hot
- Category: Pasta, Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
I loved the simplicity of the dish. No fuss or mess. 🙂 The hardest part of the dish is peeling the garlic. 😀 It can be a really good week night dinner option. Eat it hot. 😀