Garlic Fried Rice
Bite by bite, this Garlic Fried Rice will disappear right before your eyes! A quick one pot meal to put together – making the best use of leftover rice or veggies!
I’m a Bonafide Garlic Lover. And I’m in Garlic Heaven.
Because of Garlic Fried Rice.
Have you ever felt sheer joy from eating good food? Well, this Garlic Fried Rice can induce that wonderful comatose feeling – because you just can’t stop at one mouthful. Two things will happen as you finish the over-sized plate of this rice in front of you – 1) A foolish grin gets plastered on that gorgeous face of yours. 2) You realize that no matter how “nice” you are, there is a “greedy devil” in you waiting to finish the entire batch of this rice hoping no one comes to claim their share.
It is amazing how Garlic can turn something as simple as a sauteed vegetable rice into something so sexy. Yes, I think Garlic is sexy. I think it has the ability to make you feel good – and darn it, that is sexy! But I also carry a mouth spray / freshener with me at all times – coz you don’t want people running away from you, do you?! 😛 Don’t ever give up on the things you love – and that includes having lots of garlic in your life!
At this point, I realize I’m bordering on a very weird relationship with garlic. I’ll just shut up and show you how I like to make my Garlic Fried Rice! 🙂
Garlic Fried Rice Recipe | Quick & Easy Indo-Chinese One Pot Meals
Start off by mixing soy sauce and chilli sauce. Set aside for further use.
Also cook rice and let it cool completely. Refer to this post for step by step instructions on how to cook parboiled rice for fried rice.
Heat up butter, oil and chopped garlic in a large wok / pan with high sides n medium heat. Let the garlic infuse into the oil. In 1 – 2 minutes, you’ll start seeing that the garlic starts to turn brown.
Then add the chopped up onions & bell peppers. Let them fry on high heat for 1- minutes or until the onion turns translucent.
Add the mixed sauces to the pan and cook on high heat for 2 minutes. Let the sauce reduce completely.
Add the grated cabbage / lettuce and mix well. Let the veggies fry on high heat for 1 minute or until cabbage turns slightly tender. Add salt and pepper & mix well.
Add the cooked rice and mix well with the veggies. Fry one high heat for a couple minutes.Taste & adjust for seasonings.
Switch off the flame & serve hot!
For the Rice
- 1 cup Long Grained Rice
- 1 and 1/2 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons vegetable Oil
For Garlic Fried Rice
- 3–4 cups Cooked Rice (from above)
- 2 teaspoons Soy Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Teriyaki Sauce / Chilli Sauce / Schezwan Sauce (whichever you have on hand)
- 2 tablespoons Water
- 2 teaspoons Butter (optional)
- 3 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 12–15 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup Onions, finely chopped (preferably the white bulb of spring onions)
- 1 cup Bell Peppers / Capsicum, finely chopped (preferably green bell peppers)
- 1 cup Cabbage / Lettuce, grated finely
- 2 teaspoons Salt (adjust to your taste)
- 2 teaspoons Ground Black Pepper
- If you want to keep things simple, skip veggies and just make plain Garlic Rice
- You can use ANY kind of rice you want to make this garlic fried rice. If the rice is leftover from last night or not warm, just heat it up before making this
To cook parboiled rice
- Wash the rice well. In a pan, heat 1 teaspoon oil and add the rice. Saute for a minute or so until the rice dries out
- Add salt & mix well. Add water & let it come to a boil
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes (Do not overcook the rice. The grains have to be separate)
- Fluff up the rice. Let it cool completely.
- You can even store this in refrigerator for use the next day. Just warm up before using
Making the garlic fried rice
- Start off by mixing water, vinegar, soy sauce and chilli sauce. Set aside for further use.
- Heat up butter, oil and chopped garlic in a large wok / pan with high sides on medium heat. Let the garlic infuse into the oil. In 1 – 2 minutes, you’ll start seeing that the garlic starts to turn brown.
- Then add the chopped up onions & bell peppers. Let them fry on high heat for 1-2 minutes or until the onion turns translucent.
- Add the mixed sauces to the pan and cook on high heat for 2 minutes. Let the sauce reduce completely.
- Add the grated cabbage / lettuce and mix well. Let the veggies fry on high heat for 1 minute or until cabbage turns slightly tender.
- Add salt and pepper & mix well.
- Add the cooked rice and mix well with the veggies. Don’t break up the rice. Fry on high heat for a couple minutes.Taste & adjust for seasonings.
- Switch off the flame & serve hot!