- 1 cup Onions, chopped
- 4 medium Tomatoes, chopped to cubes
- 2 Green Chilli, finely chopped (skip for less spicy version)
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated Ginger
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon Salt (adjust for salt)
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Urad Dal (split black gram)
- 1 tablespoon Curry Leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder (adjust for spice level desired)
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- In a pan with high sides / wok, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add garlic & ginger and fry for few seconds. Then add chopped onions, tomatoes & green chilli. Fry for 4-5 minutes or until onions are translucent and tomatoes have reduced a little.
- Switch off flame. Let it cool a bit. Add to a blender / mixer along with the salt. Grind to a coarse paste and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in the same pan, heat 1 tablespoon Oil. Add mustard seeds. Once that splutters, add Urad dal and fry till light brown. Add turmeric powder & curry leaves and fry for 10 seconds.
- Add the ground onion tomato to the pan and mix well. Let it cook on medium heat, stirring occasional to avoid burning for 5-8 minutes. You’ll start to see it turning a deeper red color. Once the paste has reduced, add red chilli powder and mix well. Taste & adjust for seasonings. Cook for final 2-3 minutes. Switch off.
- Let it cool completely. Store in air tight container up to 7 days