Nutella Layer Cake
Moist and fudgy nutella layer cake with a delicious nutella whipped cream frosting! Get your dose of chocolate-hazelnut paste right now!
I can’t even begin to praise the awesomeness of this moist nutella layer cake! But you know I’m going to, right? 😉
Nutella makes the world go round!!! I can’t imagine a world without this beloved chocolate hazelnut paste. It is only fair that I try to use this versatile ingredient in ALL of my desserts, right? *Note to self – use this more often. If you want to jazz things up once in a while and make a different kind of chocolate layer cake, THIS IS THE ONE TO MAKE.
I mean seriously. Nutella in the Cake. Nutella in the Frosting. You can’t really go wrong with this, can you?
And the best part – YOU get to decide how much nutella goes into every element of this gorgeous dessert! So you can be shy and add a couple tablespoons of this liquid gold or you can go all out and empty the whole bottle! You’re still going to have an a-1 layer cake.
Nutella Layer Cake – Print the recipe
- For the cake
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 1/2 cup Milk / Cream
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil / Melted Butter
- 1 and 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- For the frosting
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream (chilled)
- 1/2 cup Melted Nutella (or as much as you like!)
- Preheat oven to 160 C (If using convection oven, set to 150 C). grease and line a baking pan.
- Warm the nutella to loosen it up a bit. Add milk / cream and mix to form a smooth mix.
- Add oil / melted butter and mix well.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into the mix. Gently mix to form a smooth batter with no lumps. (Do not over-mix or you’ll end up with a bread-like texture)
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake at 160 C for 30 minutes or until fully cooked through (insert a toothpick / tester / knife in the center if the cake. If it comes out clean without leaving any wet batter, it is cooked). Let it cool completely.
- If your nutella is too thick, warm it for 10-20 seconds to loosen it up and stir till slightly cool.
- Pour the chilled heavy cream onto a clean chilled bowl and add the nutella to it. Whip with electric whisk for 4-5 minutes till you have stiff peaks. (You can also use a manual whisk to whip the cream. It will just take more time!)
- Close the bowl and set it the freezer until you need to use it.
- Cut the nutella cake horizontally into 2 or 3 layers (or more, if you can manage!).
- Place the bottom layer on a clean plate.
- Place some tissue paper / news paper pieces under the cake so that any excess frosting can be caught on the paper and torn away later rather than messing the serving plate.
- Take a ladle of the frosting and apply it on the bottom layer.
- Place another layer on top and repeat the same until all layers are done. Finally use the remaining frosting to apply all over the cake. Then remove the tissue paper from under the cake.
- Chill the cake for at least 1 hour.
- Before serving drizzle some melted nutella on top of the layer.
- Slice and serve!
Nutella Layer Cake – Step by Step recipe
Melt the nutella and cream/milk together and mix well.
Add melted butter / oil and mix well. Sift in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix to form a smooth batter
Pour into a cake pan and bake at 160C for 30 minutes. Let it cool completely.Cut into 2 or 3 layers.
To make the frosting, start whipping the cream together. Taste and add more nutella if you want.
Keep it covered and chilled until use
Take the bottom layer and place it on a clean serving plate. Apply some nutella and nutella whipped cream frosting on the bottom layer. Place another layer on top of it. Apply some more frosting and repeat till all the layers are done. Also apply the frosting on the sides of the cake if you like. Keep it chilled for at least 2 hours before serving.
Drizzle some melted nutella on top in whatever pattern your heart desires.
Slice & serve!!
Other cakes you will love –
Devil’s Food Cake