Caramel Chocolate Brownies
A slice of these fudgy caramel chocolate brownies is all you need to make a regular day extraordinary.
A thick salted caramel layer over espresso-flavored fudgy chocolate brownies, topped off with ganache makes for one delicious dessert. Made with simple ingredients found in your pantry, you can whip this dessert up in under an hour. You can make the caramel sauce and chocolate ganache ahead of the time, thus saving time.
The texture is soft and fudgy. If you however freeze overnight, the brownie layer becomes like a cookie (which, IMO, is still delicious). If you want it to be soft, then store in the refrigerator.
Eggless Caramel Chocolate Brownies – Printable RecipePrint
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup powdered sugar (adjust to taste)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ⅓ tsp baking soda
- 5 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- 3 Tbsp butter
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
Microwave Caramel Sauce
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 4 Tbsp brown sugar
- ⅓ cup condensed milk
- ⅕ cup fresh cream (preferably heavy)
- ⅛ tsp salt
Chocolate Ganache / Fudge Layer
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips or chunks
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp butter
- You can prepare this 1-10 days ahead of time
- Add butter and brown sugar to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 2-3 minutes until the butter and sugar have melted. Stop and stir every minute to prevent sugar from burning.
- Add the pinch of salt and condensed milk to the mixture and mix well. Microwave for 4-8 minutes, stopping and stirring every 1 or 2 minutes. Microwave until the mixture turns a deep amber color.
- Add the cream and mix well. Microwave for 1 minute. Mix well.
- Let it cool completely. Store in the fridge if you make this ahead of time.
Chocolate Fudge / Ganache
- Chop chocolate into small chunks (or use chocolate chips) and add to a mixing bowl.
- Warm butter and cream over low flame until you start to see bubbles around the edge of the cream layer.
- Pour the cream over the chocolate, ensuring chocolate is covered with the cream. Let it rest for 3-4 minutes.
- Mix for 3-4 minutes to form a smooth, thick mixture. Let it cool completely.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator.
Preparing the Baking Pan
- Grease and line an 8 inch square baking pan. When lining the baking pan with parchment paper, ensure the paper comes out of the tin on 2 opposite sides. This will help lift up the brownies when fully done. Preheat the oven to 160°C (320°F).
For the Brownies
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the butter and chocolate. Microwave for 1-2 minutes until the chocolate and butter are melted. Stop and stir every 30 seconds to avoid the chocolate from burning. Let the chocolate mixture cool a bit.
- Add powdered sugar to the yogurt (or sour cream) and mix well.
- Add oil and vanilla extract to the yogurt mixture and mix well. Add the butter and chocolate mixture, and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the yogurt mixture – flour, espresso powder, cocoa, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Gently mix to form a smooth, lump-free batter. Do not over-mix or you’ll end up with a tough brownie.
- Pour the batter onto the prepared baking tin. Tap to even out the batter. Bake at 160°C/320°F for 25 minutes or until the brownies are fully cooked through.
- Let the brownies cool completely.
Putting it together
- Make sure the brownie layer is completely cooled.
- Add the caramel sauce onto the brownie layer and spread it evenly. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and freeze for 30 minutes or chill for an hour in the fridge.
- Add the fudge frosting over the thickened caramel layer and spread evenly. Cover and let chill in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours or until the layers have set completely.
- Lift the brownie out of the pan using the exposed edges of parchment paper. Slice into 16 squares and serve.
- If you freeze this, the brownie texture becomes a bit like cookies, but still tastes delicious. If you want the soft texture, warm it for 30 seconds. However, if warmed, the layers will melt.
- Category: Dessert
Eggless Caramel Chocolate Brownies – Step by step pictures
- Make the Caramel Sauce and Chocolate Ganache ahead of time. (Just follow the links for detailed, step by step recipes)
Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, sugar, baking powder, baking soda. Add the instant espresso powder and mix well.
Add the yogurt, oil, vanilla essence and mix well. Add a splash of water if the mixture is too lumpy. Mix to form a smooth batter. Taste and add more sugar if you like.
Pour the batter into the baking pan. Bake at 160 C for 25-30 minutes or until the brownies is fully cooked.
Once the brownies are cooled fully, add the thick caramel sauce. Cover the pan and chill for 1 hour till it is set. Then pour the thick ganache all over the caramel sauce. Tap the pan to even out the sauce. Cover the pan and again refrigerate until it is fully set. You can freeze to speed up the process, but the brownie crust will become a bit like cookies.
Slice with a clean knife and serve. You can store in an air tight box in the refrigerator for 3 days.