Butterscotch Cake Bars
Simple butterscotch cake bars baked from scratch.
Sometimes, chocolate is not what you need to feed your soul. Yes, that happens. What about those minor cravings when you want something airy and aromatic but not chocolate? Butterscotch is perfect for those subtle cravings for something sweet. Making these cake bars practically involves dumping a bunch of easily available ingredients in a bowl, mixing into a smooth batter, pouring in a pan and baking it to spongy perfection.
Also side note – My sincere apologies for slacking off over the past few months. The truth is, I’ve been extremely busy embracing and adjusting to all the crazy career changes that have been happening since the beginning of 2016. Rest assured, I’ll be back to posting content regularly (read: 6-10 times a month) from January 2017. I don’t have step-by-step pictures for this recipe (right now). That probably gives you an idea of how I developed the recipe. One day, midnight cravings struck and I decided to see what brown sugar and flour could do. Presenting the easiest butterscotch cake bars recipe ever!
Eggless Butterscotch Cake Bars – Printable RecipePrint
Simple butterscotch cake bars from scratch
- 1 and 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup Powdered Brown Sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- a pinch of Salt
- 1/4 cup Oil
- 1/4 cup Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Butterscotch Extract (or use vanilla)
- Mix together the powdered sugar and yogurt.
- Add baking powder, baking soda and mix well. Let the mixture rest for 3-5 minutes. You will see air bubbles appearing.
- Add the oil and butterscotch extract and mix well.
- Sift in the flour and salt and mix to form a smooth batter. (do not overmix or you will end up with a chewy texture)
- Pour into a prepared and line cake pan (6 or 7 inch)
- Bake at 160 C for 30 minutes or until it is fully cooked through.
- Remove the pan and and let it cool completely before un-molding and slicing.
- If you want, you cake frost with your choice of chocolate or vanilla frosting
This stays fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American