Simple roasted veggie pizza from scratch
For the dough
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Instant Yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt (adjust to suit taste)
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour / Maida
- 2–3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- Marinara or Pizza Sauce (homemade or store bought)
- Thinly sliced Jalapeno
- Salt & Pepper (as required)
- 1/2 cup mixed veggies, sliced thinly
- Mozzarella cheese (or any cheese you have)
- You can use tomato ketchup instead of a pizza sauce too
- Use your favorite veggies. Options include – Onion, Bell Peppers, Tomato, Sweet Corn, Baby Corn, Mushrooms, Eggplant, Thinly sliced potatoes, Carrots
- Warm up the milk and butter together. It has to be lukewarm.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, yeast and salt.
- Add the milk and butter mixture to the flour. Mix well.
- Knead the dough for 10-15 minutes until you have a smooth, elastic dough.
- Add the dough into an oiled bowl and make sure the dough-ball is well oiled.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let the bowl sit in a warm spot. The dough will double up in size in 45 minutes – 1.5 hours.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, deflate and use as required.
- In a bowl, add the pizza sauce / ketchup. Add additional flavorings if required. Add butter, salt and pepper, green chilli and oregano to the sauce and heat it for a couple of minutes. Mix well and set aside.
- Cover a baking tray with aluminum foil. Oil it well and sprinkle some cornmeal or semolina. This will help remove the pizza easily and make cleanup easier too.
- You can roll out the dough using a rolling pin and transfer it to the baking tray. Or add the dough directly on the baking tray and spread it out to a thin layer using your hands. This will form a more rustic looking pizza.
- With a fork, poke some holes all over the dough to let the steam escape. Cover the pan loosely and let the dough plump up again for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200 C (400 F)
- Spread some butter on the surface of the crust. Add some of the prepared sauce and spread it all over the surface.
- Add the veggies on the surface. Sprinkle some salt, pepper, chilli flakes, oregano all over.
- Grate some cheese all over the veggies.
- Bake the pizza for 20-25 minutes or until the crust is cooked, the veggies are roasted and the cheese melts.
- Remove and let it cool for 5-10 minutes. Carefully using a spatula, loosen up the pizza from all sides. Slice into desired pieces and serve with your favorite condiment