Black Forest Trifle
Delicious Black Forest Trifle to celebrate 7 years of Foodomania!
It has been a very long time since I penned down my thoughts! 1st August is a happy time because it reminds me of this day, many moons ago, when I unveiled Foodomania.com for the world to see. This year, for Foodomania’s birthday, I made something on the theme of a black forest cake because it was the very first cake I ever made. 🙂
It took less than 10 minutes to put this trifle together! And that is the beauty of any trifle recipe – If you’ve pre-arranged all the elements, then putting them together should take minutes, if not less. Below is the video I shot of making the black forest trifle –
This Black Forest Trifle is fairly easy to put together if you have all the ingredients on hand – chocolate cake (or brownies), whipped cream, stewed cherries and some additional stuff like chocolate shavings, choco chips and so on.
I do think cherries are of paramount importance in a black forest anything. If you can find beautiful, fresh, red cherries, then I recommend making the cherry filling at home. Obviously, manually pitting cherries is a task. And so, finding canned cherries will be a life-saver. If you have access to deliciously soaked cherries, then, by all means, use them!
I thank those of you who have been ardent followers of this blog from the bottom of my heart. I am back to creating content after a very long hiatus. I’m also opening up the blog to have other informative sections like meal planning, cooking and baking tips and more. I’d love to hear your feedback on the changes. Let’s dive into the recipe now! 🙂Print
With a handful of ingredients, you can make a beautiful Black Forest Trifle within minutes. This is perfect for last-minute dessert decisions. This Black Forest Trifle gives you all the flavours of a black forest cake in one quick and easy-to-make dessert.
- 1, 6-inch Chocolate Cake (refer note 1)
- 7 oz Cherries soaked in syrup (refer note 2)
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream (refer note 3)
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Chocolate Ganache (refer note 5)
- 1 cup Chocolate Shavings, for decoration (refer note 4)
Notes on Ingredients
- Use a good, fudgy chocolate cake (or brownie). You can make it at home or use the store-bought kind for a quick recipe. You can also buy a ready-made cake mix and follow the instructions to make the chocolate cake
- You can follow this video to make the soaked cherries at home. Or buy the red cherries soaked in rum or sugar syrup. Maraschino Cherries can also be used for this recipe
- You’ll need 2 cups of Whipped Cream. You can use the ready-made Whipped Cream Powder or Whipped Cream in a Can for this recipe too. Or you can make your whipped cream by whipping together – cream, sugar and vanilla
- You can use homemade Chocolate Ganache or store-bought Chocolate Sauce too. You can also use chocolate pudding insetead of Ganache
- Use any hard dark or milk chocolate to make the Chocolate Shavings. You can use as much as you need. Follow this quick tutorial to make chocolate shavings at home
- Prepare the cake as per the recipe instructions you’re following. Let it cool completely.
- Cake Layers: You can use crumbled / mashed cake or cubed cake pieces as the layer. If you’re planning to use crumbs, crumble the cake once it is cooled. If you prefer cubes, you can cut them into 1 or 2 inch pieces.
- Whipped Cream: To a cold bowl, add the heavy whipping cream, vanilla extract and powdered sugar. whisk until stiff peaks. Keep it chilled until use.
- Chocolate Shavings: Take a vegetable peeler and use that to shave out chocolate shavings from a bar of chocolate. Keep it chilled until use.
Assembling the Black Forest Trifle
- To the serving jar, add the cake layer to the bottom of the jar
- To the cake layer, add the cherry filling generously. Make sure you coat the cake layer with a lot of syrup.
- Add the chocolate ganache or sauce layer over the cherries
- Cover with enough whipped cream. You can add 1 cup of whip cream and even it out
- Cover the whipped cream surface with half of the chocolate shavings
- Repeat with one or two more layers of the trifle
- On the top layer of cream, arrange the best-looking cherries in a circle / ring near the rim of the bowl and scatter the chocolate shavings in the middle
- You can place one or a few cherries in the middle as well. Decorate as you desire
- Rrefrigerate for at least 60 minutes to allow the flavors to seep into the cake.
- Serve chilled.
- You can make 2 or multi-layer trifles. Just increase the quantity of ingredients proportionately
- Coating the cake with enough syrup / cherry filling is important to keep it moist as it refrigerates
- You can repeat the same thing in different
- The pre-prep work can be done 1 or 2 days in advance to save time when you assemble the trifle
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Freezing
- Cuisine: German
Keywords: black forest trifle
If you liked this Black Forest Trifle recipe, do leave a comment down below with your thoughts! 🙂 You can also have my recipes delivered to your inbox or follow me on social media – YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter or TikTok.