Refreshing, slightly tangy, sweetened Aam Panna to beat the summer heat! With its natural heat resistant properties, Aam Ka Panna, or Raw Mango Juice is the perfect sugar-free cooling drink!
Aam Panna. Aam Ka Panna. Kachche Aam ka Panna. Kairi Panha. All of these translate to a raw mango drink that originated in the western region of India.
Summers in India are brutal. But what can help beat the intense summer heat is this delicious drink made with green raw mangoes, sweetener and spices. Known to have properties that prevent heat exhaustion and heat stroke, Aam Panna also quenches thirst and prevents the excessive loss of sodium chloride and iron during summer due to excessive sweating.
There are a few different ways in which you can make the drink. As always, you should decide how you’d like the drink to be spiced. You can use sugar, but jaggery is a healthier substitute. You can make the Aam panna concentrate and freeze it. It stays well for a year! Another interesting way to consume this would be to turn them into popsicles!
- 2 Large Green Raw Mangoes, peeled
- 1/4 cup Jaggery / Raw Sugar (Any sweetener you like – adjust for taste)
- 2 teaspoons crushed Cumin Seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Salt (or regular salt)
- To serve
- cool Water
- Ice cubes
- Cook the mangoes in pressure cooker / hot water for 10-15 minutes till they are soft and well cooked.
- Discard the water and add the mangoes to a blender. (you may or may not chop them ahead of time)
- Add the sweetener, salt and spices.
- Grind to a smooth paste. Store in air tight jar for up to 6 months
- Mix 1 – 2 tablespoons of the conentrate with cool water. Add ice cubes and serve.
- Aam panna concentrate can be stored in the freezer up to 6 months.
- You can always adjust the amount of aam panna concentrate and water to get the taste you like.
- Spices that go into the aam panna mix can also be altered.
Aam Panna Recipe – step by step pictures
Peel your raw mangoes
Boil them / Cook them until they are extremely soft. You don’t have to cut them, but I roughly chopped them.
Filter out the water. Let the cooked mangoes cool a bit. Add to a blender. Also add sweetener and spices.
Grind till you have a smooth concentrate. Store in air tight jar and use as required.
To make the drink, take about 1-2 tablespoons of the concentrate (or as much as you want) and dilute with cool water. Add ice cubes and serve!
Have you checked out our collection of 100+ Summer Drink Recipes???