Gujarati Amiri Khaman
A deliciously sweet and spicy tea-time snack, the famous Gujarati Amiri Khaman is super easy to prepare!
Known as Amiri Khaman or Sev Khamani, this delicious snack from Gujarat can be made using leftover Khaman (or for most non-Gujarati people – Yellow Dhokla)!
This is nothing but refurbished Khaman! Yes, the spongy chickpea-flour yellow snack (often mistaken for Dhokla – but it’s actually Khaman) forms the base of this dish. Once crumbled, it’s topped with a simple, garlicky tempering and topped off with fresh coriander leaves and pomegranate! It truly is delicious!
I posted this recipe on my Instagram account a few months ago, it quickly became one of the most saved and shared recipes (back then)! It’s not surprising why, considering how little time it takes to put this together. Now, if you want to make everything from scratch – including the Khaman base – then you’ll need to plan ahead of time. However, if you live in India, you’ll have access to the “yellow dhokla”, which is what is used to make this Amiri Khaman. 🙂
Here’s a quick video tutorial on how to make this tea-time snack –Print
A tasty tea-time snack from Gujarat, India
- 20 Khaman Squares (Yellow Dhokla)
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 2 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Hing or Asafetida powder
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped Garlic
- 4–6 finely chopped Green Chilli
- 1/5 cup Pomegranate kernels
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1/5 cup chopped Coriander leaves (Cilantro)
- Sev, for garnish
- This snack is usually sweet, but if you can decide how much sugar to add
- You can use homemade or store-bought Khaman (yellow dhokla)
- Crumble Khaman (yellow dhokla) into a bowl
- Heat 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil in a saucepan
- Add mustard seeds, let them splutter
- Then add the Hing or Asafetida powder, finely chopped Garlic, Green Chilli – and mix well. Fry for 1 minute
- Add this tempering (oil mixture) to the crumbled khaman
- Add the sugar, pomegranate seeds, coriander leaves and mix well
- Taste & adjust for seasoning if required
- Garnish with some Sev (for the crunch) and serve fresh!
- Category: Snack
- Cuisine: Gujarati – Indian
Keywords: amiri khaman, amiri khaman recipe, amiri khaman gujarati, vegan amiri khaman, how to make amiri khaman, sev khamani, sev khamani recipe, how to make sev khamani
If you liked this Amiri Khaman or Sev Khamani recipe, do leave a comment down below with your thoughts! ? You can also have my recipes delivered to your inbox or follow me on social media – YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter or TikTok.
Until next time,