Baking : Back to Basics
I wrote this post so long ago that I kinda wanna laugh at my writing! 😛 But.. shortage of posts in the drafts, some exams and a desperate need to keep the blog alive had me considering re-posting this post on my new blog for you readers! 🙂 So.. some tips to ensure baking is a smooth process — (some might seem really silly. But keep in mind that I wrote this back when I was a kid! :D)
1. Make sure you have a good baking pan. Nowadays, good quality non stick bakeware is available. Although expensive, it is a good investment if you intend to be a chronic baker! 🙂
2. Have clean mixing bowls & a whipper. I have a manual whisk & an electric blender with me which works well for me. But having an electronic whipper can be really helpful.
3. Measuring spoons & cups – When the recipe says 1 teaspoon baking powder, do not just add any small spoon. AT least not in the beginning. Once you become an expert at baking, you can trust your instincts. I remember how I weighed out every single ingredient to the last gram in the days of yore! 😀 Now I write my own recipes! 🙂
4. Ingredients – Get all the ingredients ready before you start preparing for the bake. It is best to be well prepared before you start the process.
5. This is a tip I learned from my MA. Seeing the mess I made every time I baked, she told me to lay down some old newspapers all over the kitchen counter. That way, even if you spill, you can just dispose off the newspaper! Ha! Isn’t that brilliant?! 😀
6. Always PREHEAT the oven to the said temperature before you put in the mix. An ideal time to switch on the oven would be when you start mixing your batter/dough. (exception: unless recipe specifically mentions not to preheat)
7. You have to grease your pan well and line it with parchment paper in order to avoid the cake from sticking onto the cake pan. Here is a step by step guide on how to do that.
8. Once your dish is cooked, immediately wash the pans/vessels in which you prepared the cake/bread. If you procrastinate, it becomes difficult to wash the utensils. However, if you DO have to delay the washing, soak them in water until you wash them.
Yeah.. I know.. this post was pretty vanilla. 😛 Nothing extraordinary! But it is still something! 😀 – a part of Baking 101 Series.