Simple, low fat Maharashtian style Bhindi Masala (Okra stir fry) made with my favorite spice blend – Godaaa!
After potatoes, okra is my most favorite vegetable in the whole world! Maybe I’m a little biased, but I only have it with rice. I think rice + okra is a powerful combination.
I have 2 favorite methods of cooking Bhindi (okra) – The south Indian stir fry way… and more recently, the Maharashtrian bhindi masala way with extra dose of Goda Masala!
Ever since I discovered the secret to Goda, I’ve been using it generously in all my stir fried veggie dishes. It’s a great spice mixture – even better than garam masala in some cases. I believe this is (almost) how Maharashtrians make their Bhindi masala.
- 1/2 kg (1 pound) Okra / Lady Fingers / Bhindi, washed and pat dry
- 1 large Onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable Oil
- 1 teapsoon Mustard Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 tablespoon Curry Leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 2 teaspoons Goda Masala *
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons Salt (adjust to taste)
Goda Masala – It is a Maharashtrian blend of spices. Refer to another recipe on www.Foodomania.com to make it at home. Else, buy it from a local Indian store. If you don’t have this, you can use Garam Masala or simply leave it out
Preparing the Okra (Lady Fingers)
- Wash them well and pat dry.
- Remove the top and little bit of the bottom from every Okra.
- Cut them into 1 inch long pieces. (You can cut them smaller also, if you want)
Bhindi Masala – steps
- Heat oil. Add mustard seeds. Once that splutters, add cumin seeds and fry for 10 seconds. Add curry leaves & turmeric powder. Mix well
- Add the chopped Bhindi (Okra / Lady fingers) and mix well. Let it fry on medium heat for 5-6 minutes till it has softened a bit
- Then add the sliced onions and salt. Mix well. Cook for another 5 minutes. Keep mixing occasionally to avoid the okra from burning.
- Once the are almost cooked, add the Goda masala and chilli powder. Mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes. Switch off and remove on a bowl
- Serve as required
Bhindi Masala – step by step pictures
You’ll need –
Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds. Once that splutters, add cumin & fry for 10 seconds. Then add curry leaves, turmeric powder & mix
Add the chopped Lady fingers (Okra). Mix well. Saute for 5-6 minutes.
Then add the sliced onions. Saute for another 5-6 minutes
Add the salt, Goda Masala & Chilli powder
Check out MY –
Okra fry in a Microwave