Breadsticks | Italian Grissini
I think yeast is starting to love me. 😉 How else would you explain every yeast experiment succeeding? (touch wood!!!) In fact, I’ve already made them thrice, in varying sizes. Homemade breadsticks are delicious! Plus there’s an added satisfaction of consuming what you made – from scratch! Grissini, commonly known as breadsticks are Italian appetizers. They are perfect sides for a bowl of soup.
BREADSTICKS RECIPE | Italian Grissini
(Print this recipe)
Prep Time – 1.5 hours
Bake Time – 20-25 minutes
Makes – 15-20 breadsticks
All purpose flour – 200 grams
Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
Sugar – 1 teaspoon
Instant Yeast – 1 teaspoon (you may have to proof the yeast if you’re using active dry yeast)
Warm Milk – 70-75 mls
Olive Oil – 1 tablespoon (or any vegetable oil)
Dry Herbs – 1 tablespoon
Melted Butter – to brush the breadsticks
Garlic Cloves, minced (optional)
1. Sift flour and salt together.
2. To warm milk, add sugar, olive oil and sprinkle yeast and mix gently. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
3. Add the milk mixture to the flour to make a dough. Use more flour if the dough is sticky.
4. Knead well until the dough is elastic. Place in an oiled bowl.
5. Cover with a damp cloth and let it rise for 1 or 1.5 hours
6. Punch it down and divide the dough into equal pieces.
7. Roll each piece with your fingers into long strips. (The size and width depends upon you. If you roll it too thin, the sticks will be more crispier). Let it rest for another 20 minutes.
8. If you want garlic flavor, mix the minced garlic cloves with melted butter. Brush the sticks with melted butter and sprinkle over the strips.
9. Bake at 180 C for 20-25 minutes or until the breadsticks are brown. If you want really crispy breadsticks, bake for another 5 minutes. Be sure not to burn the top.
Dunk it into a bowl of hot soup and enjoy!
Tip: Get good quality yeast.