Brown Rice Pulao Sizzler
Get ready to sizzle up things with this easy brown rice pulao sizzler! Add some zest into your dinner by taking a regular pulao up a notch!
When was the last time you went a step ahead to make your food look sexy?
Of course, using fresh ingredients and adding a bunch of color to the dish does make it beautiful. But I am talking about a dish that will make the eater’s eyes pop out and go “Yaauuzaa!!”.
Enter the best discovery of mankind – A sizzler plate – a humble Iron plate with a wooden stand to rest. I combined the entire dish onto a sizzler plate and served it for the extra oomph. Of course, you could just serve it on a regular plate, minus the sizzle. But trust me, once you make this, it would be hard to go back to the regular old Pulao dish! 🙂
There are a few elements to this dish – The Pulao itself, the gravy, some crunchy fries and croutons. And that is just what I put together in 30 minutes. If you have the time, please, feel free to add dimensions to this dish. Some patties, roasted veggies, noodles etc. would be great too. Play around with ideas to make different kinds of Sizzlers every time.
Please hear me when I say that this is as simple as it is delicious. I mean like 20-minute simple. It is a Friday! You didn’t think I was going to stick you with a 100-steps-to-follow-kinda-recipe, didja? If I could assemble the whole thing in 30 minutes flat, I’m sure anyone can.. because HELLO? Have you met me? I’m slow as a snail when it comes to chopping veggies…!
The recipe I’ve mentioned here is just going to give you a broad outline of what would work and how to make it work. If you choose to add or subtract elements from the recipe, go ahead! It is not going to ruin your dish.
Brown Rice Pulao Sizzler – Printable recipePrint
A fragrant rice served with a simple gravy on a sizzling hot plate!
For the rice
- 1 cup Brown Basmati rice (you can also use any long grained, fragrant rice)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 cup Mixed Vegetables (Onions / Bell peppers / Beans / Carrots / Corn / Baby Corn / Peas / Mushrooms etc.)
- 2 Green Chilli, slit lengthwise
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Minced Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Minced Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Salt (adjust to suit your taste)
- 1 Tablespoon Fortune Rice Bran Health oil
- Around 1.5 cups water to cook the rice (differ base don the quality of rice you use)
For the Quick Gravy
- 1 medium Tomato
- 1 medium Onion
- 1 teaspoon Salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- 1/3 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Fortune Rice Bran Health oil
For croutons (crispy bread)
- 2 slices bread
- 1 teaspoon Fortune Rice Bran Health oil
- Cabbage or Lettuce leaves
- Slivered Almonds
- Sizzler Plate or an Iron Plate
For the Croutons
- Preheat oven at 200°C
- Chop the bread into small squares & toss in 1 teaspoon Fortune Rice Bran Health oil
- Add the bread pieces on a baking tray and bake at 200C for 5-7 minutes or until the bread cubes are crispy (they would turn golden brown)
- If you don’t want to bake, you can simply heat the oil in a pan andd add the bread cubes. Fry on medium heat for 5-7 minutes until the bread starts to crisp up
For the Brown Rice Pulao
- Wash rice well and drain.
- Heat the oil and add ginger, garlic, chilli, cinnamon, bay leaves, cumin seeds and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the mixed veggies and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the drained rice, salt and mix well.
- Add 1.5 to 2 cups of water and bring to a boil
- Reduce the flame to low, cover with a lid and let the rice cook for 15-18 minutes (or until fully cooked)
Meanwhile, get the gravy ready
- For the gravy, grind all ingredients (except oil and milk) to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add the paste & water. Keep stirring it and simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes until well cooked.
- Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Slowly add the warm milk while stirring. Let it boil for 2 minutes & switch off
To assemble the Brown Rice Pulao Sizzler
- Place the tava or iron plate on the flame for 3-4 minutes until it is sizzling hot.
- Cover the plate with a cabbage or lettuce leaf
- Add some rice to the plate and pour some gravy in the center of the rice
- Top it off with some croutons and slivered almonds & serve hot.
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Indian
Brown Rice Pulao Sizzler – step by step recipe
You will be needing –
Heat oil and add – chilli, bay leaves, ginger, garlic, cinnamon & cumin seeds & saute for 2 minutes. Then add the onions (if using) and fry for a couple minutes. Add rest of the veggies and saute for 2 minutes & then add the drained rice and fry.
Add salt and mix well. Then add water and let it come to a boil. Taste the water to check if the salt is okay.
Cover the pan, reduce the flame to low and cook for 15-20 minutes or until it is well done
You can also bake some french fries on the side, if you want. It isn’t necessary though.
To make the gravy add all ingredients except the milk and oil to a blender and grind to a smooth paste. Heat oil in a pan andd add the paste along with 1/2 a cup of water and let it cook until the raw smell of onions & tomatoes goes away. Slowly add warm milk while stirring constantly. Taste and adjust for seasoning, if required. Set this aside
You can fry up some bread cubes / bake the bread to make them crispy. This is not necessary, but adds a nice dimension to the recipe
To assemble the sizzler, place the tava or iron plate directly on the flame. Let it get heated up for 3-4 minutes until it is smoky. Place a couple of cabbage or lettuce leaves at the bottom (you’ll see that the leaves start to burn up a little – that is okay). Add the rice, gravy and top it off with fries, bread croutons, almonds and some coriander leaves, if required. Heat up some more before place the iron plate on a wooden stand and serving. (Use something to protect yourselves from the heat!)
Serve hot and enjoy! 🙂
Here’s one final bite of the brown rice pulao sizzler!