Caprese Salad Pizza
Anyone who knows me probably knows that I hate salads. I just cant wrap my head around the fact that eating veggies is good, especially raw. But then, what if I combined salads with my favorite form of carbs – A pizza base?! 😀 Wouldn’t that be the same thing? Except now, I believe I’m eating a Pizza and wouldn’t make a fuss about ‘uncooked food’. 😛This pizza is so easy to make. You’ve got a base (that is easily available even in the most remote locations of the world), you’ve got tomatoes, basil, mozzarella & some olive oil. The end. I’m talking about the stars of Insalata Caprese of course! The famous Italian salad that has the freshest ingredients ever!
You could just add all the ingredients to the base & grill it for a few minutes. But I decided that the best way to add basil to the Pizza would be to make a Pesto. I love fresh basil. But the Pizza would look much better if the basil was in a Pesto form rather than a leafy form. Combined with some hot pepper flakes (I’m Indian, I can’t eat bland food :P) the Pizza was pheNOMenal!
Let’s begin —
Just blend basil, olive oil, salt & pepper to a fine paste.
Once you’ve got your pesto, you’re gonna apply it to the base. Arrange tomato slices & cubes of mozzarella on it.
Put it under the broiler (at 200C) for 4-5 minutes. If you don’t have the option, most ovens come with a ‘grill’ option. Grill it for 4-5 minutes until the cheese stars to melt & look golden brown.
Slice & serve
For the Basil Pesto
- 1 cup Fresh Basil Leaves (Tulsi)
- 1/2 tsp Salt (To taste)
- 1/2 tsp Pepper powder
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil (Caprese calls for olive oil. But if you don’t have it, you can use any vegetable oil)
- 1 Pizza Base (I used the wholewheat kind)
- 1 fresh Tomato (sliced)
- 1/4 cup fresh Mozzarella (cubed)
- Hot pepper flakes (to garnish, if you like it spicy)
For the Pesto
- To a blender, basil, salt, pepper & olive oil. Blend to a fine paste.
Making the Pizza
- Apply the pesto all over the Pizza base
- Arrange tomato slices & mozzarella on it.
- At 200 C, put it under the broiler for 4-5 minutes. If you don’t have the ‘broiler’ option, your oven might come with a ‘Grill’ option. Grill it for 4-5 minutes until the cheese starts to melt.
- Slice & serve hot
- If you like it spicy, garnish with hot chilli flakes
- Cuisine: Italian