- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup powdered sugar (adjust to taste)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ⅓ tsp baking soda
- 5 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- 3 Tbsp butter
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
Microwave Caramel Sauce
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 4 Tbsp brown sugar
- ⅓ cup condensed milk
- ⅕ cup fresh cream (preferably heavy)
- ⅛ tsp salt
Chocolate Ganache / Fudge Layer
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips or chunks
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp butter
- You can prepare this 1-10 days ahead of time
- Add butter and brown sugar to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 2-3 minutes until the butter and sugar have melted. Stop and stir every minute to prevent sugar from burning.
- Add the pinch of salt and condensed milk to the mixture and mix well. Microwave for 4-8 minutes, stopping and stirring every 1 or 2 minutes. Microwave until the mixture turns a deep amber color.
- Add the cream and mix well. Microwave for 1 minute. Mix well.
- Let it cool completely. Store in the fridge if you make this ahead of time.
Chocolate Fudge / Ganache
- Chop chocolate into small chunks (or use chocolate chips) and add to a mixing bowl.
- Warm butter and cream over low flame until you start to see bubbles around the edge of the cream layer.
- Pour the cream over the chocolate, ensuring chocolate is covered with the cream. Let it rest for 3-4 minutes.
- Mix for 3-4 minutes to form a smooth, thick mixture. Let it cool completely.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator.
Preparing the Baking Pan
- Grease and line an 8 inch square baking pan. When lining the baking pan with parchment paper, ensure the paper comes out of the tin on 2 opposite sides. This will help lift up the brownies when fully done. Preheat the oven to 160°C (320°F).
For the Brownies
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the butter and chocolate. Microwave for 1-2 minutes until the chocolate and butter are melted. Stop and stir every 30 seconds to avoid the chocolate from burning. Let the chocolate mixture cool a bit.
- Add powdered sugar to the yogurt (or sour cream) and mix well.
- Add oil and vanilla extract to the yogurt mixture and mix well. Add the butter and chocolate mixture, and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the yogurt mixture – flour, espresso powder, cocoa, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Gently mix to form a smooth, lump-free batter. Do not over-mix or you’ll end up with a tough brownie.
- Pour the batter onto the prepared baking tin. Tap to even out the batter. Bake at 160°C/320°F for 25 minutes or until the brownies are fully cooked through.
- Let the brownies cool completely.
Putting it together
- Make sure the brownie layer is completely cooled.
- Add the caramel sauce onto the brownie layer and spread it evenly. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and freeze for 30 minutes or chill for an hour in the fridge.
- Add the fudge frosting over the thickened caramel layer and spread evenly. Cover and let chill in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours or until the layers have set completely.
- Lift the brownie out of the pan using the exposed edges of parchment paper. Slice into 16 squares and serve.
- If you freeze this, the brownie texture becomes a bit like cookies, but still tastes delicious. If you want the soft texture, warm it for 30 seconds. However, if warmed, the layers will melt.
- Category: Dessert