Caramel Swirl Brownies
The ultimate Caramel swirl brownie bites ~ Sweet Caramel infused into dark chocolate brownies!
Why didn’t anybody tell me how magnificent caramel infused brownies are?!
My only regret is discovering the wonders of caramel chocolate brownies so late. If you aren’t a fan of dark chocolate, wait until you try these caramel swirl brownies. The caramel minimizes the “darkness” (or whatever it is you don’t like about bitter chocolate) and add a punch of sweetness. and if you do like dark chocolate, then there really is no question of why you should love these brownies, is there? 🙂
You don’t obviously have to make it so “dark”. If you like your brownies on the lighter side, just reduce the amount of cocoa powder! 🙂 You can bake them as brownie squares too. But I think brownie bites (baked in mini cupcake molds) is so much better.
Caramel swirl Brownies
(You can also use your own brownie batter recipe.)
Mix the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
Add oil & buttermilk
Mix to form a smooth brownie batter.
If baking in mini cupcake molds, fill about 3/4th of the molds with the batter. (If baking in 8 inch square baking pan, pour entire batter in it and flatten it as much as possible)
Add about a teaspoon of thick caramel sauce in the center of each brownie. (If baking as a whole brownie, add dollops of caramel sauce in various places)
With a knife, just swirl to your favorite pattern / randomly
Bake at 150 C for 18-20 minutes (25 minutes if baking as a whole brownie) or until the brownies are completely cooker through.
Let them cool completely before serving!
- 3/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 cup Sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- a pinch of Salt
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 cup Milk or Buttermilk (plus some more if batter too thick)
- 1/3 cup thick Caramel sauce * (homemade or store bought)
- Buttermilk substitute – beat 1/4 cup of yogurt to smooth paste and mix another 1/4 cup water with it
- Preheat oven to 160C. Grease and line mini cupcake molds.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Add oil, buttermilk / milk and mix to form a smooth brownie batter.(DO not over mix or you’ll end up with a bread like texture). If batter is too thick, add & mix additional spoons of milk / buttermilk to loosen up.
- Fill about 3/4th of the cupcake molds with the batter
- Add about a teaspoon of thick caramel sauce in the center of each brownie.
- With a knife, just swirl the sauce into the batter
- Bake at 150 C for 18-20 minutes (25 minutes if baking as a whole brownie) or until the brownies are completely cooker through.
- Let them cool completely before serving!
- If you want to bake as a 8X8 brownie, pour the entire brownie batter in the pan. Flatten it out. Drop dollops of Caramel Sauce in different place all over the top of the batter. With a knife swirl the caramel sauce into the batter. Bake at 160C for 25-30 minutes or until completely done
- Alternatively, you can simply add the caramel sauce to the batter and mix it. It will still taste similar with the swirl pattern
- If baking in convection oven, reduce temperature to 150C and bake longer to avoid cracking of the tops
- (You can also use your own brownie batter recipe.)
Other mini treats for you ~~