If you want to get somebody excited about Chilly Potatoes, tell them it is French Fries in a delicious Chinese Sauce base! Easy to prepare, these Chilli Potatoes is one dish that you can enjoy along with some Chinese noodles or rice or by itself as well!
One dish that I am incredibly, innnncredibly proud of is my Paneer Chilli. For those uninitiated, it is an Indian adaptation of Chinese flavors in Cottage Cheese cubes.
If you thought crispy cottage cheese cubes tasted amazing in an ethnic Chinese inspired sauce, wait until you have THIS amazingly simple combination of potatoes with a Chinese sauce!
So simple. So cheap. So delicious.
Of course, the authenticity of this dish is questionable. I don’t even know if Chinese people eat their potatoes this way! 🙂 All I know is that Indians – with their undying love for Indian version of Chinese food, absolutely enjoy these Chilly Potatoes!
For the sauce base
- 1 cup sliced Onions
- 1 cup thinly sliced Bell Peppers (capsicum)
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped / minced
- 1 teaspoon Grated Ginger
- 2 Green Chili, finely chopped (you can remove the seeds for less spicy
- 1–2 teaspoons All purpose flour or Cornflour
- 1/2 teaspoon Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Soy Sauce
- 1–2 teaspoons Ground Black Pepper
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons Salt (adjust to taste)
- a pinch of Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Ketchup
- 1/2 cup Water or Vegetable Stock
- 2 large Potatoes
- Oil, to deep or shallow fry
STEP 1 – Pre-Cooking the Potatoes – If you plan to deep fry, then you can skip this step.
- If you want to shallow fry or bake the potatoes, you should pre-cook them (boil in hot water for 8-10 minutes). Let them cool and peel the potatoes
STEP 2 – Cutting the potatoes
- Serving in French Fries forms is great, but you can also dice the potatoes into cubes or wedges.
- Make sure the potatoes are dry and devoid of any moisture to get maximum cripy-ness!
STEP 3 – Preparing the Potatoes – DEEP FRY
- Heat oil in a wok.
- Drop the potatoes and deep fry for 2-3 minutes on each side until they are crisp and golden brown.
- Remove on a paper towel and set aside until the sauce is ready
STEP 3 – Preparing the Potatoes – SHALLOW FRY
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil in a wok (preferably nonstick) and add the potatoes. Let them cook & crisp up on medium heat. Keep stirring frequently to avoid burning. Cook until the potatoes are as crispy as you like.
- Tip – Use a wide pan so that the potatoes can sear instead of steam.
STEP 3 – Preparing the Potatoes – BAKING
- Preheat the oven to 200 C. Line a baking tray with aluminum foil for easy cleaning. Grease it well.
- Mix 2-3 tablespoons of oil with the potatoes
- Place the potatoes on the baking tray. Don’t crowd one over the other. Spread out the potatoes.
- Bake for 15 minutes on one side, flip over and bake another 10 minutes on the other side. Remove and set aside
STEP 4 – Sauce base for Chilly Potatoes – can be prepared simultaneously or even before hand
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons of Oil in a wok. Add ginger, garlic, green chilli and fry for 1 minutes.
- Add sliced onions and bell peppers and fry on high heat for 2-3 minutes. This gives a slightly burnt taste to the veggies.
- Add the vinegar, soy sauce and flour (cornstarch / all purpose flour). Mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the water or vegetable stock and mix well. Let it boil for 1-2 minutes while stirring. You will notice the liquid thickens to a sauce consistency.
- Season with salt, pepper, tomato ketchup and mix well.
- Taste and adjust for seasoning
STEP 5 – Serve the Chilly Potatoes
- Right before you serve, add the potatoes to the sauce and mix well.
- Serve immediately.
Notes & Tips
- This is not a dish you can prepare ahead of time. The potatoes will turn soggy if you leave the dish for too long. If you want to save time and yet serve this, you can prepare the sauce ahead of time. Although it would thicken, you can reheat with some more liquid and mix with potatoes right before serving
- You can simply cook the potatoes in water, slice and add to the sauce. You don’t need to deep fry / shallow fry / bake. However, doing so gives a crunch to the potatoes which adds a great texture to the dish
- I didn’t salt the potatoes because the sauce is salty enough
- You can serve this as a meal itself or as a side to Chinese fried rice, noodles etc.
Chilly Potatoes – step by step pictures
If you plan to deep fry the potatoes, you can skip pre-cooking them. If you want to shallow fry, then it cook the potatoes, peel and slice like french fries. (you can also cut them into small cubes)
Deep fry or shallow fry until the potatoes are crispy. Set aside on a paper towel.
In a wok, heat oil. Add the green chilli, ginger and garlic and let them fry for 30 seconds
Add the sliced onions & bell peppers and fry for 2-3 minutes on high heat. You are looking to develop some color to the veggies
Add the flour, vinegar, soy sauce and mix well. Let the flour cook out. Add some water / vegetable stock and mix well. Let it boil for 1-2 minutes. You will see a thick sauce starting to form.
Add salt, pepper, tomato sauce and mix well. Let it boil for 2-3 minutes. This is your sauce base. Taste and adjust for seasoning as required.
Finally, when you are ready to serve, add the potatoes to hot sauce, mix well and serve immediately.
This is not the kind of dish that you can make ahead of time. You can maybe make the sauce base ahead. Right before you want to serve, heat the sauce again, fry up the potatoes and mix the 2 together!