Vegetarian Chinese Sizzler
Step by step guide to putting together a delicious vegetarian Chinese Sizzler.
There is no one way to make Sizzlers. The name of the dish is inspired by how the food is presented to you – hot and sizzling. So you could serve pretty much anything on a hot, sizzling iron plate and call it your own Sizzler. You’ll need a special kind of serving dish known as the Sizzler plate. It comes with a wooden stand and a groove with an iron plate. You cook the food and add it to the hot burning iron plate. And to avoid burning yourself, you place the plate on the wooden stand. If you don’t find this plate or do not want to buy it, you could mimic its functions by placing the food on any iron plate and placing that plate on a wooden board.
Read on to read about my version of Chinese Sizzler.
Let me talk of this Sizzler. As a lover of the Indian-version of Chinese food, I often end up cooking noodles or fried rice. Once in a while though, I like to go a step further, make all the elements and serve it up on a fancy sizzler plate like this. The steps I’ve mentioned are how I like to assemble my Sizzler. You don’t have to use all the elements in the dish. Yo could choose to go with either noodles or rice. It depends on your convenience and time..
Printable recipe for the Chinese-inspired sauce is given below. For the rest of the recipes, please decide what elements you want in your sizzler and follow the links.Print
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 2 Green Chilli, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced Ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced Garlic
- 1/2 cup bub of Spring onion, finely chopped (use regular onions if unavailable)
- 1 teaspoon Cornstarch or Cornflour
- 1/4 teaspoon Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Tomato Ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Salt (adjust to taste)
- 2 teaspoons Ground Black Pepper
- 1 cup Water or Vegetable Stock
- Heat oil in a pan. Add ginger, garlic and chilli and fry for 30 seconds on high heat.
- Add onions and fry for a minute until the onions turn translucent
- Add the cornstarch and mix and fry for 1 minute till the raw smell disappears.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, tomato ketchup, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Add water or vegetable stock and mix well. Stir and let the mixture boil and thicken for 3-4 minutes. Once it reaches a sauce-like consistency, switch off the flame
- Use as required
- Add the sauce in an air tight jar and store up to 7 days in the refrigerator.
- Because it has cornstarch, the sauce will thicken and become lumpy when stored in the refrigerator. Before using, add a bit or water, mix well and boil it to make it into a sauce-like consistency.
- You can use it as a dipping sauce, side dish or base for any Chinese-inspired recipes.
Chinese Sizzler Recipe – Step by step Pictures
Step 1: Make the Manchurian. You can follow the step by step recipe I’ve posted before. You could also make Paneer Chilli or Potato Chilli if you don’t want to go through the long process of making the manchurian.
Step 4: Make the sauce base (not authentic, but inspired by a lot of Chinese flavors)
Heat oil and add lots of minced ginger, garlic and chopped green chilli. Let it fry for 10-20 seconds and then add the onions. Fry on high for 1-2 minutes until onions turn transclucent.
Add cornstarch and mix well. Cook for a minute until the raw smell goes away.
Add soy sauce, tomato ketchup, vinegar, salt and pepper and mix well.
Add water and let the mixture come to a boil. Keep stirring till it thickens to a sauce like consistency. Taste and adjust for seasoning, if required.
Set aside. You can make this ahead of time, add to an air tight jar and refrugerate it upto 7 days. Before using add a bit of water or stock and mix well and boil it to loosen it up.
Step 5: Put together the Sizzler:
Place the iron plate on the stove on medium flame. Heat it for 5 minutes. It should be sizzling hot.
Add soem of the sauce on the plate. Place 2 lettuce or thick cabbage leaves on the iron plate on top of the sauce.
Add noodles, fried rice, manchurian / paneer chilli in alternating layers as you like. Finish off with some manchurian or paneer or potato chilli on top. Add chopped spring onions’ leaves on top of the dish
Serve immediately. The whole idea is to serve it hot and sizzling.