Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes
Fudgy homemade Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes from scratch! An intensely chocolaty and rich dessert you’ll want to make over and over again!
A little fun fact – Foodomania went live on this very day, THREE years ago.
I’ve been living this amazing life for three years now. ♦sparkle in my eyes♦ (just for the dramatic effect! 😀 ) The thing about undiscovered passion is that you keep fidgeting around, until you find your mojo. And once you do, you can’t imagine a life without it. My experience with creating this website is also something like that.
Everyday, I get to do what I love whilst building a community of like-minded foodies. I think that’s a pretty sweet deal. And I wouldn’t have been able to do what I love, if i weren’t for all of you who read, comment, write back to me, test my recipes and generally motivate me to do better. So, Thank You! Now – let’s celebrate. 😉
So, what do you do when you are in a celebratory mood? Indulge of course! And can there BE a better indulgence that Chocolate? I think not. And keeping up with my style of cooking – minimal efforts • maximum results – here’s a fancy dessert that requires less than 60 minutes of your efforts – The Chocolate Brownie Cupcake.
Brownie needs no introduction. With more chocolate and less flour compared to a cake, the brownie is more intense and fudgy. Bake the brownie batter in a cupcake mold and you have individual portions of brownies that you can serve without having to slice them into equal pieces. And anyway, the cupcakes look cuter!
You can serve them with or without the frosting / icing. But because this is an indulgence, I went ahead and dunked them in chocolate sauce (ganache) and stuck a funny chocolaty treat on top. Cuz I’m goofy like that! 😉
Preparing the homemade chocolate sauce is as easy as boiling the milk. You boil the cream and add it to chocolate. Leave it for a few minutes and mix. Voila! A glossy sauce to make any dessert look gorgeous!
Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes – Printable RecipePrint
Homemade Fudge Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes From Scratch.
For the Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour (Refined Flour / Maida)
- 1/3 cup Powdered Sugar (adjust as per your taste)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened Cocoa Powder (add less if you want less intense chocolate flavor)
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- a pinch of Salt
- 1 teaspoon Instant Espresso Powder (optional)
- 50 grams or 1/4 cup Baking Chocolate, melted
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Butter, melted
- 1/3 cup Thick Plain Yogurt / Sour Cream
- A little Milk or Water, if required (to loosen the batter)
For the Chocolate Sauce (makes around 1 cup)
- 100 mls (1/2 cup) Milk or Cream
- 100 grams (1/3 cup) Chopped Baking Chocolate (Milk / Dar / Semi-sweet / Mixture)
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
For additional decoration – optional – use anything you like
- Chocolate Chips or Sprinkles
- Chocolate Cones
- Broken Cookies
- Generally, Brownies don’t call for Baking powder or Baking soda, but rely on eggs for the leavening effect. However, since these are Eggless Brownies, you will have to use the leavening agents to aid the brownies.
- You don’t need BOTH vegetable oil and butter. However, I’ve found that the oil makes the baked dish moist while the butter adds a lot of flavor. Hence, I like to use a mixture of both. You can skip the butter and use 1/4 cup Oil or skip the Oil and use 1/4 cup melted butter too
- You can use any chocolate candy / treat you like to decorate the cupcake
For the brownie cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 160C / 325 F (If you’re using a convection oven, preheat to 140 or 150 C / 300 F). Line cupcake molds with liners.
- Sift together and mix all the dry ingredients well – flour, sugar, cocoa powder, instant espresso powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave or double boiler method along with the butter (if using). Mix them together well. Pour the liquid in the dry mixture.
- Also add the oil and yogurt and mix well. If the batter is too thick, add a few tablespoons or water or milk to loosen it up. The batter should be smooth, lump free, and slightly thicker than the cake batter.
- Fill each cupcake mold about half-way full with the brownie batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Keep an eye on the cupcakes from the 25th minute onward. The cupcakes are done when you insert a toothpick or dry piece of spaghetti in the middle of one and it comes out clean without leaving any wet batter. Let them cool down for about 10 minutes.
For the chocolate sauce (can be made ahead of time & reheated too)
- Chop the chocolate and add in a mixing bowl
- Heat the milk / cream and the butter together on medium heat. Bring them to a boil (but don’t let them boil). When you see little bubbles on the sides, switch off the flame
- Pour the hot mixture over the chocolate. Make sure all chocolate pieces are submerged in the milk / cream. Let it rest for 2-3 minutes
- Take a spoon or a half moon whisk and mix well until the chocolate completely dissolves into the mixture to form a smooth, glossy sauce.
Decorating the cupcakes
- Dip the top of each cupcake into the warm sauce.
- Add sprinkles / chocolate chips / candy or whatever you like on top.
- Let it set for about 5-10 minutes (you can even place in the refrigerator for quick setting)
- If you’re cupcake tops are browning too much but the insides are not cooked, reduce the oven temperature by 10-20 degrees.
- You can store them in air tight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Before serving, warm in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. OR let the cupcakes come to room temperature.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes – Step by Step Recipe
Soft together all the dry ingredients and mix well.
Add melted chocolate, butter, oil, yogurt and mix to form a smooth batter. If the batter is too thick, add a couple of tablespoons of milk or water.
Fill cupcake molds about half way full with the batter. Bake at 160C for 30 minutes or until completely cooked (refer printable recipe for more info on the oven temperature)
Once the cupcakes have cooled for about 10-15 minutes, dip them in chocolate sauce. Decorate however you like.
Other Delicious Brownies to watch out for –