Chocolate Griddle Cake (Pancakes)
To celebrate 8000 friends at Foodomania, I present to you my simple, 5 minute Griddle Cake!
There was a time when I thought Microwave was the answer to all things ‘quick & easy’. I’m not so sure about that anymore. Today I’m gonna share with you this delightful discovery of mine – Griddle Cakes! Or Chocolate Pancakes… whatever you wanna call it. This is now my favorite recipe for cakes because not only can I do so many variations with this, but I don’t have to wait an hour to get a cake! When the craving strikes, just mix up, make the pancakes & enjoy! This also tastes similar to oven baked cakes.
Griddle Cake is just cake batter cooked on a griddle on stove top rather than an oven. You could cook it and eat it just as it is. It tastes exactly like chocolate cake! However , I decided to take it up a notch and go generous with the Chocolate! 🙂 You need to cook it on a non stick griddle for less troubles. I’m just gonna get right into the recipe! 🙂
Sift and mix together your dry – all purpose flour, powdered sugar, cocoa powder & baking powder.
To the milk, add vanilla & baking soda & mix well.
Add in melted butter to the milk.
Mix well. If you use warm milk, the melted butter won’t become lumpy. But it doesn’t matter.
Add in the dry flour mix half at a time & mix well to incorporate the flour into the milk.
The batter should be smooth, loose & of pouring consistency. You can loosen it out by adding milk.
To a non stick pan (preferably), add about a ladle full of the batter. It will spread on its own. You can add more if you want thicker cakes.
Do not touch it at all. It will most likely release itself once its done. Watch out for the bubbles on the upper side which would tell you the bottom’s cooked! 😉
Flip it over and cook it for a further 2-3 minutes.You can eat it just as it. Its still delicious.
If you want to make it fancy, on a serving plate, place one of the Griddle Cakes. Squeeze chocolate sauce & caramel (if any) all over it.
Place the other griddle cake on top & do the same. Keep doing until you have your own layer cake! 🙂 Decorate with almonds. Merry Christmas! 🙂
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 6–8 TBsp Powdered Sugar (adjust to taste)
- 2 TBsp Cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 cup Milk (at room temperature)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 TBsp Melted Butter (preferably unsalted) * Or Vegetable Oil
- A pinch of salt (skip if using salted butter)
Options for decoration –
- Chocolate Sauce or Ganache
- Caramel sauce
- Almond Slivers
- Whipped Cream
- Ice Cream
- Whatever you like!
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar, cocoa powder and set aside. Also add a pinch of salt if you are using unsalted butter
- To milk, add vanilla, baking soda, melted butter (or oil) & mix well.
- Add in the flour in batches and incorporate the flour into the milk. The batter should be of pouring consistency.
- Heat a non stick griddle. Pour 1 or 2 ladles of batter in the center. You don’t have to spread it out as it will spread on its own
- Cook till the edges release themselves. You’ll notice bubbles on top. Flip the cake & cook for further 3 minutes or until done.
- Set aside & make all cakes similarly.
- You can have the cakes as it is; OR
- Place one cake on the serving plate, add lots of chocolate and/or caramel sauce.
- Place the other layer on top of it & continue this way. Decorate the top with chopped almonds or any nuts.
- You can build a layer of 2 o r 3 or as many griddle cakes as you like
- It is best when served warm
- Use a non stick pan preferably.
- Decorate however you like
- Category: Dessert