Sponge Cake with Chocolate Marshmallow Frosting
For the Cake
- 1 and 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour (maida)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 3/4 cup Powdered Sugar (adjust to taste)
- 3/4 cup thick Plain Yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- a pinch of Salt
1 cup is around 200 grams
For the Chocolate Marshmallow Frosting
- 1/4 cup or 5–6 pieces of Marshmallows
- 1/2 cup Dark or Semi sweet Chocolate
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1/4 cup Cream or Milk
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 160C (150C if its a convection oven). Grease and line a 6 or 7 inch cake pan.
- Mix together yogurt and powdered sugar to form a smooth mixture.
- Add baking soda, baking powder and salt to the yogurt mixture and mix well. Let it rest for 5 minutes. You will notice many air bubbles on the surface of the yogurt.
- Add oil and vanilla extract to the yogurt mixture and mix well.
- Add flour and unsweetened cocoa powder and mix gently to form a smooth, lump free batter. Do not overmix or you will end up with a bread-like texture.
- Add to the prepared baking pan and bake at 160C for 30-35 minutes or until the cake is fully cooked through.
- Let the cake cool completely. Remove from the mold and set aside.
Chocolate Marshmallow Frosting
- In a microwave safe bowl, add all the ingredients (butter, chocolate, chopped marshmallows and cream) and microwave on full power for 5 minutes. Every 1 minute, remove the bowl and mix everything to avoid burning. Keep microwaving and stirring until you have a frosting-like consistency. Set aside to cool
Putting it together
- Spread the chocolate frosting on top of the sponge cake. You cake make a layered cake or ever spread the frosting all over the cake or just the top.
- Category: Cake
- Cuisine: American