Chocolate Mousse Caramel Ganache Cake
Baking and decorating a cake for a birthday, according to me, is one of the sweetest things you can do for someone you care about. But then, its probably the food blogger in me talking! 😀 Anyhoo, exactly one month ago, on this very same day, I launched my new blog. To celebrate the successful completion of its 1 month anniversary, here’s a delicious cake!I’ve tried to break down the process of this cake into 3 simple steps. And if you follow every step carefully, I don’t see why a novice cannot master the art of making this delectable cake. You should be a sucker for heavy cream and chocolate to fully enjoy this cake, for it is not for the diet conscious folks! 🙂
To tell you the truth, this isn’t how I pictured the final cake to look like at all. But the cake I baked turned out to be a bit smaller than my new spring-form pan. And so, the idea of perfectly layering it with Chocolate Mousse was aborted. Since it was already late, I decided to finish the cake, no matter how sloppy it turned out. (It does look decent though, don’tcha think? :P)
Making this cake is a lengthy process. I suggest you attempt it only if you have at least 6-7 hours to finish it. I started around 9 pm and finished the cake at 3:30 am!! 😀 (That would probably explain its botched appearance!) But don’t be intimidated by the long hours needed for this cake. It is one of the easiest and tastiest food ventures you may ever attempt! If you still aren’t convinced, then you will be – once you go through the following steps.
White Chocolate Mousse & Chocolate Caramel Ganache Cake
What you need –
1 thin layer of Chocolate Cake
White Chocolate Mousse
Chocolate Caramel Ganache
Chocolate Shards & Chocolate Shavings (for decoration)
STEP 1. The Chocolate Cake
– I followed my fail-proof chocolate sponge cake recipe. Check out this post to get the recipe. Or use any chocolate sponge cake you like.
– Reduce the ingredients by half to get a smaller cake.
– Bake a thin layer of cake
STEP 2. The White Chocolate Mousse
White Chocolate – 100 grams
Heavy Whipping Cream – 200 mls
Gelatin or Agar Agar – 2 teaspoons
1. Soak Agar agar in water for 20 minutes. Then microwave for 2 minutes until it melts. Keep aside to let it cool
2. Melt chocolate in the microwave (stop & mix at every 30 second interval until it is fully melted). Or use Double Boiler method. Mix continuously while letting it cool.
3. Whip cream until soft peaks form. (always keep chilled)
4. Add the chocolate and melted gelatin (agar agar) into the whipped cream.
5. Mix well until everything is fully combined. Keep refrigerated until use.
STEP 3. Chocolate Caramel Ganache
chopped Cooking Chocolate – 120 grams
Fresh Cream – 100 mls
Sugar – 100 grams
Butter – 50 grams (if it is unsalted butter, add 1/2 teaspoon salt. It makes the caramel tastier!)
1. In a deep bottomed pan, add the sugar and butter.
2. Heat till the sugar turns light brown. Turn of the flame.
3. Add HALF of the cream and mix well.
4. Run through a sieve to get gooey caramel sauce!
5. In another pan, heat the other half of the heavy cream.
6. Add the caramel sauce & heavy cream to a bowl of chopped chocolate. Let it sit for about 3 minutes.
7. With a whisk, stir it well to get your caramel chocolate ganache!
* If you want a thicker Ganache for any other purpose, chill it for about 30 minutes.
STEP 4. Assembling the Cake
1. Place the cake on a clean serving plate.
2. With a large spatula, layer the mousse on top of the cake. It does not matter how neat or sloppy it turns out! 😉 (actually if you can do it neatly, kudos!)
3. Chill it in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
4. Pour the caramel chocolate ganache on top of the mousse. Let it run on all sides. (I prefer a thinner ganache for this. In case your ganache turns thick due to chilling, heat it a bit to make it runnier.)
5. Decorate as you wish. I covered the sides with Chocolate Shards. And used some white chocolate shavings for the top.
Verdict: I was definitely disappointed about the shape. I visualized a fancy mousse layered cake. But now that I see it, it looks pretty darn good, doesn’t it? Taste-wise, it was amazing! If you don’t believe me, make it & experience the paradise yourself! 😛