- 1/4 cup Lukewarm Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Instant Yeast (Refer Note 1)
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/5 teaspoon Salt (skip if using salted butter)
- 1/4 cup Melted Butter (preferably Unsalted butter)
- 1 Tablespoon thick plain Yogurt or Sour Cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 4–5 Tablespoon Milk or Water
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Yeast – If you don’t have instant yeast, you can use active dry yeast and proof it first. Add the yeast to the warm milk & sugar and let it “proof” for 2 minutes
- You will need 2 sizes of cookie cutter or caps of bottles to cut out the donuts
- To lukewarm milk, add sugar and mix well.
- Sprinkle yeast, mix and rest for 2 minutes.
- Add flour, salt, vanilla extract, melted butter, yogurt (or sour cream) and mix till it comes together.
- Using hands, knead for 10-12 minutes to form a smooth and elastic dough.
- Oil the dough and place in a clean bowl.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let the dough rise in a warm spot for 1-2 hours or till it doubles in volume.
- Use the dough as required.
- To powdered sugar, add milk (or water) 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Keep mixing with a spoon to form a thick glossy glaze.
- Add vanilla extract and mix well.
- Prepare the glaze just before you fry the donuts
Making the donuts (doughnuts)
- Transfer the dough to a clean surface. Punch it down gently.
- Divide the dough into 2-4 pieces (for managing easily)
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to a 1 inch thick sheet of dough. It doesn’t need to be in any perfect round or rectangular shape, since you are going to cut out donuts.
- Using one cookie cutter, cut out round shapes. Using a smaller round cutter, cut out donut holes and set aside. So you have donuts & donut holes from each round disk.
- Repeat with rest of the dough. Re-roll & cut out donuts and donut holes with any excess dough.
- Cover the pieces loosely & let them rest for 20 minutes.
- Heat some vegetable oil for frying the donuts.
- Gently drop each donut into oil and fry on medium low heat each side for 3-4 minutes or until the donuts are golden brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon on a tissue paper.
- While the doughnut is still hot, dip into the glaze (as many times as you want depending on how thick you want the glaze to be). Yo can dip one side or both, depending on your preference.
- Serve the donuts warm!
- You can store them in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Warm them in microwave for 15-20 seconds before serving