Subtle and delicious coconut mousse made with vegan marshmallows, coconut milk and fresh whipped cream! A burst of tropical delight in your mouth!!! 🙂
Sometimes, I just want to quit my job, go some place quiet, and spend the rest of my life reading from my Kindle and eating coconut mousse.
This coconut mousse just transported me to that alternate universe. Good food does that to you sometimes, doesn’t it? 🙂
Coconut is one of those amazing fruits that not only tastes amazing in savory dishes like rice, chutneys etc., but also makes up for a fantastic ingredient to work with in desserts. The subtle burst of flavor in every bite of this mousse will leave you craving for more! As delicious as my airy chocolate mousse (both kinds!) is, I’m always game for trying new flavors. After successfully extrapolating the technique into making scrumptious strawberry and butterscotch mousse(s), I now use a similar method to make this easy coconut mousse. And what’s even cooler is that you could totally use vegan whipped cream, raw sugar and make a vegan dessert – if you so wish.
Let me break this down for you – melt some vegan marshmallows, raw sugar and coconut milk together. Keep stirring while it cools down. Meanwhile whip some fresh cream (or use coconut whipped cream). Once the coconut milk-marshmallow mixture cools down, pass it through a sieve and pour it onto the whipped cream. Gently fold the mixture into the cream. Pour into serving glasses and chill until set!
Easy enough, right?
Eggless Coconut Mousse Recipe – Printable RecipePrint
- 1 cup (200 grams) Plain Marshmallows (use vegan kind if you’re a vegetarian)
- 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar (adjust to taste)
- 2 cups (400 mls) Coconut Milk
- 2 cups (400 grams / mls) Whipped Cream / Coconut Cream
- 1 teaspoon Coconut Extract (optional)
- 1/4 cup lightly toasted Shredded Coconut
Substitutes to make this a Vegan Coconut Mousse
- Marshmallows – vegan marshmallows
- Plain sugar – raw sugar / agave
- Whipped Cream – Coconut Cream
- If using whipped cream, it is best to get it whipped & chilled ahead of time.
- Heat together marshmallows, coconut milk and sugar together (in microwave or stove). Every 1 minute, stir the mixture. Heat till the marshmallows have melted completely and you have a smooth liquid. (The coconut may split slightly – it is okay)
- As the mixture cools, keep stirring it. Once it is cool, pass it through the sieve to catch any split milk.
- Add the cream and coconut extract in the coconut milk mixture and gently fold everything together.
- If you want a slight crunch, lightly toast some shredded coconut. Add a few shreds onto the mousse mixture and fold everything together.
- Equally divide among serving cups / glasses. Cover each glass with some foil and chill until set (around 3-4 hours).
- Garnish with some more toasted shredded coconut and serve!
** Coconut Extract enhances the flavor of this mousse!
Eggless Coconut Mousse Recipe – Step by Step Recipe
Melt together coconut milk, marshmallows and sugar. I used the microwave to do this. Keep stirring regularly.
Once everything is melted, keep stirring gently until the mixture is cool enough to handle. You can even pass this mixture through a sieve if you want a smooth mousse.
Add the whipped cream to this cooled mixture. Also add some toasted shredded coconut Gently fold the mixture into the cream. Don’t beat furiously or you’ll lose the airy texture.
Pour into serving glasses, cover with foil and chill until set. It would take about 2-3 hours at least.
Top with some more toasted coconut and serve!
Other mind blowing mousse recipes you should check out on Foodomania.com —