- 1 cup (200 grams) Plain Marshmallows (use vegan kind if you’re a vegetarian)
- 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar (adjust to taste)
- 2 cups (400 mls) Coconut Milk
- 2 cups (400 grams / mls) Whipped Cream / Coconut Cream
- 1 teaspoon Coconut Extract (optional)
- 1/4 cup lightly toasted Shredded Coconut
Substitutes to make this a Vegan Coconut Mousse
- Marshmallows – vegan marshmallows
- Plain sugar – raw sugar / agave
- Whipped Cream – Coconut Cream
- If using whipped cream, it is best to get it whipped & chilled ahead of time.
- Heat together marshmallows, coconut milk and sugar together (in microwave or stove). Every 1 minute, stir the mixture. Heat till the marshmallows have melted completely and you have a smooth liquid. (The coconut may split slightly – it is okay)
- As the mixture cools, keep stirring it. Once it is cool, pass it through the sieve to catch any split milk.
- Add the cream and coconut extract in the coconut milk mixture and gently fold everything together.
- If you want a slight crunch, lightly toast some shredded coconut. Add a few shreds onto the mousse mixture and fold everything together.
- Equally divide among serving cups / glasses. Cover each glass with some foil and chill until set (around 3-4 hours).
- Garnish with some more toasted shredded coconut and serve!