Corn Cheese Balls
These corn cheese balls are one of the tastiest snack time treats ever! Stuffed with cheese, these are deep fried to crispy perfection!
Take a deep breath.
Because these corn cheese balls will take your breath away!
No kidding! Every once in a while, I come across a truly brilliant recipe that just screams gourmet goodness! These corn cheese balls were such elegant little treats I came across while surfing one of the gazillion cooking shows on television. The idea of a white sauce base to otherwise regular corn balls was really interesting for me to experiment. Stuffing them with a cube of mozzarella was a stroke of genius, I believe. And I have my No-Meatball Sliders to thank that for!
These corn cheese balls are definitely an indulgence – one that you should let yourself have once, maybe twice a year! They go heavy on everything – cheese, oil, seasonings etc. Needless to say, exercise caution while making these beauties since self control is not something you might have while frying them up! However, make them for your next party and watch everyone go ga-ga over these simple deep fried goodie!
Corn Cheese Balls – Printable RecipePrint
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Milk or Half & Half or Cream
- 2 teaspoons Salt (adjust to suit your taste)
- 2 teaspoons Ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Hot Pepper Flakes / Chilli Powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Oregano / Mixed Herbs
- 1/2 cup Grated Cheese
- 1 cup Corn Kernels
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1/4 cup Bread Crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- Mozzarella Cheese cubes (or any gooey, stringy cheese), cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Vegetable or Canola Oil, to deep fry
- In a pan with high sides, add butter and all purpose flour. As the butter melts, stir well with flour till raw smell of the flour goes.
- Add the milk/cream and constantly stir. The mixture will start to thicken. Keep cooking on medium low flame till you have a thick paste.
- Meanwhile, add the corn kernels & garlic to a food processor and grind to a coarse paste.
- To the white sauce paste, add the corn mixture, all the spices, salt, grated cheese, cornstarch, breadcrumbs and mix well. You should have a thick, tight dough like mixture. If the mixture is too sticky, add more breadcrumbs or cornstarch. Adjust the salt & spices to suit your taste.
- Chill the mixture in the fridge until you have to fry them. You can make the mixture a day ahead of time as well.
- Take 1 tablespoon measure of the dough and roll into a ball. Stuff each ball with a small cube of cheese. Place on a greased plate.
- Bring oil to temperature. Gently drop the corn cheese balls into the oil and let them fry at medium heat for 3-4 minutes or each side or until they are crispy, golden brown in color.
- Serve hot with your favorite dips.
Corn Cheese Balls – step by step pictorial
Start off by add butter and flour to a pan. As the butter melts, stir well to incorporate the flour. Cook for 1-2 minutes till raw smell of the flour leaves.
Then add in some milk / cream and keep stirring constantly. The mixture will thicken and become like a paste.
Add the seasonings and grate some cheese into it.
Meanwhile, grind the corn kernels. You can precook them for 8 minutes if you want. However, since they are going to be deep fried, it is not necessary.
Add the ground corn, breadcrumbs, cornflour and seasonings to the white paste mixture. Mix well to form a thick dough like mixture.
Make equal, lemon sized balls of the mixture, stuff each one with a small cube of cheese. Prepare all and set on a plate. You can keep them chilled for 30 minutes
Deep fry the balls for 4-5 minutes on each side until golden brown.
Serve with ketchup or chutneys or your favorite dip!
Other deep fried goodies to watch out for –