For the Chocolate Cake
- 1/3 cup Plain Yogurt (or thick curd)
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Instant Coffee Powder / Brewed Coffee
- 1 All Purpose flour (plain flour)
- a pinch of Salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened Cocoa Powder (adjust depending on how dark you want the cake to be)
For the Coffee Chocolate Frosting
- 1/2 cup (100 ml) Cream
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 3/4 cup (125 grams) Dark Chocolate, chopped (you can also use milk chocolate)
- 1 tablespoon Instant Coffee Powder / Brewed Coffee
Others – optional
- Chocolate Chips, for decoration
- Sugar Syrup / Brewed Coffee
For the cake
- Grease and line an 8 inch cake pan. Preheat oven to 170 C (150 C if you’re using convection oven)
- Mix together yogurt and sugar till sugar dissolves
- Add baking powder & baking soda. Mix well & let it rest for 5 minutes till you see a lot of air bubbles.
- Add oil, vanilla & coffee and mix well.
- Sift in flour, cocoa powder and salt. Mix to form a smooth batter.
- Pour batter into cake pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let it cool completely.
- Cut into 2 equal halves and set aside. (Skip if you’ve baked 2 separate cakes)
For the Frosting
- Cut the chocolate into chunks and add it to a bowl. Sprinkle instant coffee powder over it or the brewed coffee.
- Bring the cream to a boil. Switch off as it starts to boil.
- Pour cream all over the chocolate and let it rest for 2-3 minutes
- Whisk furiously to form a smooth & glossy frosting. Let it cool completely.
- Chill in fridge for 30 – 60 minutes to get a spreadable frosting
Putting together the Devil’s Food Cake
- To the lower half of the cake, brush with sugar syrup or brewed coffee decoction to keep it moist
- Spread a thin layer of the chocolate frosting and sprinkle some chocolate chips all over.
- Close the top layer of the cake and spread the frosting all over the cake. You can wet your spatula lightly to smoothen out the frosting.
- Decorate the sides and top with Chocolate Chips.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes.