Red Velvet Cake
A moist and soft Red Velvet Cake made without eggs!
I’m not an artist. Heck, I don’t even have the patience to frost cakes elegantly. I usually follow a minimalist approach to cooking / baking. But some cakes demand your attention. And this Red Velvet Cake is one of those cakes. As you can probably already see, I didn’t do a very good job of frosting the cake. But believe me when I tell you – this has to be one of the best eggless cakes I’ve baked in a long time. I’m sure YOU will do a better job of frosting this cake than I did.
Let’s talk about the texture. Moist, soft, crumbly and chocolaty in every single bite. The subtly sweet cream cheese frosting adds a nice flavor dimension to the intensely red and chocolaty cake. I’d say this stays well in the refrigerator for 1 or 2 days; but I doubt it’ll last that long. You’ll need great self-control to resist the urge to have another slice.
Do save some of the batter to bake separately in a cupcake mold. This way, you can make the “red crumbs” to use to decorate the cake without having to cut into the perfectly baked cake. If your cake butchering skills are as stinky as mine are, then you’re going to need this tip!
Eggless Red Velvet Cake – Printable RecipePrint
For the cake
- 1/4 cup Butter at room temperature
- 1/3 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons thick Cream (can be heavy cream) or Yogurt
- 1/4 cup Milk or Water
- 1/4 teaspoon Edible Red Food Coloring (adjust based on how dark or light you want)
- 1 cup + 1 Tablespoon All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- a pinch of Salt (skip if using salted butter)
For the frosting – Use 1 cup of Cream cheese frosting or Vanilla Buttercream
Cream Cheese Frosting – makes 1 cup
- 1 cup soft Cream Cheese
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1–2 Tablespoons Milk
- 1 cup Butter at room temperature
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
For the Cake
- Grease and line a round cake tin. Preheat oven to 160 C (if using convection oven, reduce the temperature to 140 or 150 C)
- Beat together the butter and sugar for 2-3 minutes or until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add some cream, yogurt and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add milk, edible red food coloring and mix well.
- Sift in flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and mix gently until you have a smooth, lump-free batter. Do not over-mix or you’ll end up with a bread-like consistency.
- Pour the batter onto a greased and lined pan. Tap the pan to even out the batter.
- Bake at 160 C for 30 minutes or until it is fully cooked through. Let the cake cool completely.
Note – additional cake / cupcake for “crumbs”
- If you want to decorate the sides and top of the cake with red crumbs, add 2-3 Tablespoons of to a lined cupcake mold and bake separately. You can make it into crumbs separately instead of cutting off from the cake
Make the frosting – cream cheese or buttercream
- Beat together the butter / cream cheese with sugar and vanilla extract for 5-7 minutes to make a creamy mixture. Keep it chilled until you need to use it.
- Remove the cake. Cut the cake into 2 or 3 layers evenly.
- Apply frosting to each layer, add the next layer and continue
- Cover the entire cake including the sides with frosting
- Cover the sides with red cake crumbs. Also add some on top to decorate as you like
- Chill for at least 30 minutes – 1 hour.
- Slice and serve.
- You can store it in the refrigerator for 1 or 2 days.
- You cake bake this batter in cupcake molds or any other shape you like
- Use around 2-3 tablespoons of the batter to bake a cupcake to use for “crumbs”
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Eggless Red Velvet Cake Recipe – Step by step pictures
Beat together the butter and sugar for 2-3 minutes or until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
Add some cream, yogurt and vanilla extract and mix well.
Add milk, edible red food coloring and mix well.
Sift in flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and mix gently until you have a smooth, lump-free batter. Do not over-mix or you’ll end up with a bread-like consistency.
Pour the batter onto a greased and lined pan. Tap the pan to even out the batter. Bake at 160 C for 30 minutes or until it is fully cooked through. Let the cake cool completely.
You can make cream cheese frosting or simple buttercream
Slice the cake into 2 or 3 layers. Apply buttercream / cream cheese frosting to each layer. Also cover the entire cake (including the sides) with frosting. Use a smooth butter knife for an even layer
With extra red velvet cake crumbs, decorate the sides and top as you like. Chill for at lest 30 minutes to set. Slice and serve.