For the cake
- 1/4 cup Butter at room temperature
- 1/3 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons thick Cream (can be heavy cream) or Yogurt
- 1/4 cup Milk or Water
- 1/4 teaspoon Edible Red Food Coloring (adjust based on how dark or light you want)
- 1 cup + 1 Tablespoon All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- a pinch of Salt (skip if using salted butter)
For the frosting – Use 1 cup of Cream cheese frosting or Vanilla Buttercream
Cream Cheese Frosting – makes 1 cup
- 1 cup soft Cream Cheese
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1–2 Tablespoons Milk
- 1 cup Butter at room temperature
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
For the Cake
- Grease and line a round cake tin. Preheat oven to 160 C (if using convection oven, reduce the temperature to 140 or 150 C)
- Beat together the butter and sugar for 2-3 minutes or until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add some cream, yogurt and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add milk, edible red food coloring and mix well.
- Sift in flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and mix gently until you have a smooth, lump-free batter. Do not over-mix or you’ll end up with a bread-like consistency.
- Pour the batter onto a greased and lined pan. Tap the pan to even out the batter.
- Bake at 160 C for 30 minutes or until it is fully cooked through. Let the cake cool completely.
Note – additional cake / cupcake for “crumbs”
- If you want to decorate the sides and top of the cake with red crumbs, add 2-3 Tablespoons of to a lined cupcake mold and bake separately. You can make it into crumbs separately instead of cutting off from the cake
Make the frosting – cream cheese or buttercream
- Beat together the butter / cream cheese with sugar and vanilla extract for 5-7 minutes to make a creamy mixture. Keep it chilled until you need to use it.
- Remove the cake. Cut the cake into 2 or 3 layers evenly.
- Apply frosting to each layer, add the next layer and continue
- Cover the entire cake including the sides with frosting
- Cover the sides with red cake crumbs. Also add some on top to decorate as you like
- Chill for at least 30 minutes – 1 hour.
- Slice and serve.
- You can store it in the refrigerator for 1 or 2 days.
- You cake bake this batter in cupcake molds or any other shape you like
- Use around 2-3 tablespoons of the batter to bake a cupcake to use for “crumbs”
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American